• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Glass

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
Just wanted everyone's two cents on a glass enclosure.

I know most people resort to wooden because it's easy to custom build and you can't usually buy glass tanks that big, but a local breeder is offering to design and build a glass tank for me of ANY size.

I was thinking 5x2 for my 20 inch Tegu.

Thoughts?

Jer723

5 Year Member
sounds like it would be way cooler, and hey rainey, i kno that you said his growth is stunted but why not just get the big one for him now and not pay for 2 seperate enclosures? i was just wondering, but i say go for it, but you may have to cover the sides of the enclosure or something to keep his stress down. good luck

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
I don't want to go with the full 8x6 because I'm always getting new animals. It's great to have an enclosure for something else when I move him out of it and into a bigger one. The enclosures will ways be put to good use!

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
good point. i think as long as your glass enclosure will hold humidity well go for it. id enjoy seeing the finished product

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
Yeah he won't be growing fast at all, he's smaller than 6 month old tegus I've seen. When he does grow out of it I can use it for other large lizards :). And the humidity should stay good, I am only making it partial screen on the top.

Jer723

5 Year Member
would that be able to hold lou dog eventually? idk alot about savs so if im totally wrong forgive me, hey rainey. why dont u post pics of lou dog on here, there are quite a few sav fans on here.

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
Alright, so my final decision today came out to be a 6x3 enclosure.

It's glass. Partial screen, partial glass on the top. I won't need to worry about super long strip lighting, because I have an outdoor pen for my Tegu in the summer. During the winter I'll have a Powersun on the basking size and a strip light on the other side.

And then for heating it will come from both the Powersun and a ceramic heat wave emitter attached to a thermostat.

All_American

5 Year Member
CaterpillarGiraffe said:
I don't want to go with the full 8x6 because I'm always getting new animals. It's great to have an enclosure for something else when I move him out of it and into a bigger one. The enclosures will ways be put to good use!

Good point, plus the fact that a 8x6x lets say 1/4" thick glass would be REALLY heavy to say the least :shock: .

31drew31

5 Year Member
6x3x3 all glass is going to weigh a ton as well. a 6x2x2 aquarium weighs around 160-180 pounds empty depending on the manufacturer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlifKat