• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

getting a bit discouraged

Nessie

Hi All, I have a two month old Tegu. I left her alone for the first week and then I started holding my hand in the enclosure and she would get curious and check me out. So when I started to gently go under her belly I get whipped. I want to feed her in a seperate bin but every attempt turns into a chasing game. I don't move too fast I just continue to follow her around with my hand but it is stressing her out. She is a whipper, that is her first response when I try to touch her. I have seen the "how to take a baby out the tank" clips on youtube and that is how I approach it but i still get whipped. I did get her out of the enclosure about 5 times last week and while she is out she is great! No fighting, no puffing or whipping, I have had her in my sweatshirt and she crashed, I have had her outside, free roaming in the bathroom but I still get the same response when I try to get her out the next day.....I can't get her out to feed her unless I want to chase her. My enclosure is a good size, 4x2x2, should I have started smaller for a young one? I also visit TheTegu often but I am posting this here as it was the Varnyard youtube clips I saw about taking the baby out of the tank.

Thanks in Advance
Vanessa

lilgonz

Hello Vanessa,

Please don't get discouraged, this is normal for a young tegu, they will settle down as they get larger. You could try a smaller cage that would make it easier for you, gives the Gu less space to run and hide.

Nessie

Thanks for the reply. So do you suggest I insist he comes out to eat ( usually ends up in a chase),or feed him in his enclosure? Most say don't feed in enclosure but they also say don't chase in tank?? When he is out we get along great! I feel like we are making great progress but as soon as he is back in the tank it is back to whipping if I try to pick him up. I want to accomplish as much as possible before he hybernates for the season. I had 2 6' iguanas years ago and there wasn't a technique to it I just picked them up when I liked, I held them from an early age. They were both dog tame, and never bit, never whipped. I am really wanting the same kind of relationship with my Tegu so I'll do what needs to be done.

Thanks Again
Vanessa

lilgonz

just another thought, if the enclosure is on the floor, you might try bringing it up closer to eye level, this might help the little gu not feel so threatened. Can't seem to find the link, but I have heard of someone using a pillow case to let the gu climb in the pillow case then picking it up, you might try that as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

lilgonz

I do not recommend feeding in the enclosure, that will just begin a feeding response when you put you hands in the enclosure. I would say to keep trying to get the little one out of the cage, you might try bringing the temps down a little to help settle him/her down, as they are not as active when cooled. I have done this before on one of my gu's that was just being fiesty. Hope this helps.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When I got my '08 Varnyard hatchling it's first cage was a 4x2x2. A smaller cage might make it easier for you to chase your Tegu down and catch it, but I do not think it will make the Tegu accept being picked up. Ultimately I do not think a smaller cage is a solution.

Is your cage top opening or front opening? I am quite convinced that a Tegu with a front opening cage is much more likely to accept being picked up / handled than a Tegu in a top opening cage. A top opening cage brings us at the from above which is the same angle they are prone to bird attacks. Birds are a very common natural predator for them. It is also an unnatural angle for them to see and evaluate you.

A front opening cage allows the Tegu to 'recognize you' and can see all/most of you and read your calmm peaceful body language. Also when moving 'slow and calm' prevent from 'stalking'. With my reptiles I've had the most fortune moving calm and deliberate avoiding too slow of movement.

Feeding outside of the cage is a very good suggestion. But it is not one that I followed. From day one my Tegu has been feed on the same plate and has not ever been 'cage aggressive' or even 'food aggressive'. My Tegu has not once bitten me (or anyone else) and has only attempted/threatened once and that was when he was frightened by a swarm of young children while free roaming in the yard.

One thing to consider while trying to pick yours up... when I have mine outside free roaming if he resists being picked up, I will toss a towel over him and then pick him up wrapped in a towel. This has gone very well for me and has prevented any games of chase and grab (not at all fun with a 4' Tegu in an open yard). You may be able to use a smaller version of this approach with a handkerchief or hand towel.

All in all... I do not think your experience is all that uncommon or extreme. They definitely calm down and become much more secure as adults. Provided they are fed properly/enough and are provided with a large enough enclosure just about every one grows into a rather friendly adult.

TheTeguGurl

Hi ... I have had the same problems as you. Althou mine doesnt tail whip he just gets scared and hides. but once i do bring him out of the tank he is just fine. i got mylnor when he was a yr old i have had him for almost 2 mos now. and there are still day where i want to pull my hair out and cry cuz i want my gu as tame as the other ones i read. mylnor used to be in a smaller tank too and was fed in a tub. well when we build his other enclosure that all stoppped. so now what i do and it seems to work with mylnor my gu is when i feed him. i just hold his plate while he is eating and i watch him just to make sure he doesnt eat the substance... dont loose hope.... some gus are just more stubborn then others like ours! lmao.. just walk away at times and relax and go back in and try again...everyday do this... and everyday you will see some little hope there for ur little guy.. :fc :app

Nessie

Thanks for the replies! It is a challenge at times. So many people have different opinions so I guess I am just going to go with what seems to be working. I am going to try a pillow case in the tank to see if he will go into it. I have tried to place it over him but the little bugger is fast and he is always watching me from the other side of it!
My tank is a custom tank with slidding glass front doors, and it is raised up on a stand to make it more at eye level. Now he is shedding and I have heard that can make them more stressed? Another strike against him is he was not captive bred only hatched. Would that make him more "wild" then a cb?

Thanks Again
Vanessa

Citrinellus

I don't remember where I read this on here, but it was pretty good advice. The person suggested that you just work in the tank, turning over mulch etc. But, completely ignore the tegu. Do this everyday, so the tegu doesn't associate, hand in tank = me being chased/picked up. After awhile the tegu will go on about its business and the tegu will be comfortable enough with your hand that it won't run away from it. This is when you'll be able to pick the tegu up without a chase.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me