• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Food questions that need some answers!

Progrmor

Hello! I got some questions about the tegu food!
I feed her mostly chicken liver/heart, fruit, wet dogfood and rodents in moderation.

My problem right now is that she eats soooo small amounts that a pack of chicken liver would last months! And I figured I should freeze these? Aswell with the rodents.

First, how long do these last in the fridge? For how long are they safe to feed?
Second, It becomes a BIG mess cutting the frozen food in decent size. The small mice is frozen together, wich results in them getting broken in half.. and the liver is the worst.. They all have frozen togheter into a single big liver almost! All of this results to "defrosting"/thawing the food every time Im going to feed her. Wich I believe results in bacteria in the food? Am I right? Dangerous?

Thanks!

Ralph DeMayo

Hey, I'm new to the baby Tegu life as well ;)..however i have been in the food business for years and what works for me is to do like you would do anything else you want to freeze and portion. Instead of freezing the livers and hearts and ground turkey all together so they turn into one big solid clump of food try cutting in appropriate sizes and then putting it all onto baking sheets (layed out individually) stick in freezer for an hour uncovered then take out and you will have all individual pieces(size appropriate)..pry off tray with a butter knife if needed and put into a freeze tight container. You can do this with fruit as well such as pieces of bananas or any other fruit. These little items when taken out of the container defrost in less then 45 minutes when placed at room temps..just my 2 cents :)

Progrmor

Hey, I'm new to the baby Tegu life as well ;)..however i have been in the food business for years and what works for me is to do like you would do anything else you want to freeze and portion. Instead of freezing the livers and hearts and ground turkey all together so they turn into one big solid clump of food try cutting in appropriate sizes and then putting it all onto baking sheets (layed out individually) stick in freezer for an hour uncovered then take out and you will have all individual pieces(size appropriate)..pry off tray with a butter knife if needed and put into a freeze tight container. You can do this with fruit as well such as pieces of bananas or any other fruit. These little items when taken out of the container defrost in less then 45 minutes when placed at room temps..just my 2 cents :)
Great! Thanks! But now that they already have freezed into one big lump, can I defrost them and freeze them again? Or will that harm the livers and make them uneatable?

patrickstyblo

Hey just got me an argentine black and white and was wondering if it will harm little ziggy to eat some of his substrate when he attacks crickets. Its coconut fiber

patrickstyblo

Ok thank you :) hes so awesome! Been waiting to get my hands on one for a while now had a caiman lizard he was cool but got tired of the strict diet

Ralph DeMayo

Great! Thanks! But now that they already have freezed into one big lump, can I defrost them and freeze them again? Or will that harm the livers and make them uneatable?
Well everyone's budget is of course different and i know every penny counts. That said i do think that those containers of chicken livers(perdue) are really cheap. Think i paid 1.81 for a pint or so. I would throw out and start over. Bacteria in all food starts when frozen food drops to room temps, so i guess for the price, toss it :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus