• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Food Aggression

Weedazon

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with my tegu. I bought him a few months ago, and I really wasn't able to bond with him because he went in to hibernation shortly after I got him. During that time, I would feed him outside of his cage, and he would eat a little, but not much. Eventually he stopped eating at all. Back then I had never experienced an animal hibernating before, so I was a little worried because I still had all my temps high, light cycles the same, etc. I didn't think hibernation would occur when that was all the same. Now I know I was wrong! Anyways, during that time, I started feeding him in his cage because when he was out, that's only when he would eat. He got in to this weird cycle where he would only come out at night when I was sleeping, so he would eat then. I was just worried he would become malnourished/get MBD if he didn't eat at all. Anyways, he went down again, but now, a few months later, he is up and HUNGRY.

My mom had been feeding him in his cage while I was in college. She sent me a text saying Zeke is eating like crazy, but he's starting to get really excited when he sees her walk in. He like jumps right at the door and waits. I don't know if this is just the sight of her or if he can smell the food. So, I just made him some ground turkey & scrambled eggs. I'm trying to feed him in a separate container. When I go to open the door, he's obviously interested in what I'm doing. I put a hand in the cage (after washing to get the food scent off) and just lay it there. He approached, smells for a little while, and then bites my fingers. It wasn't a hard bite, but I did pull my hand back and I'm afraid that a more powerful bite will be in the future. He did bite me last weekend when I tried to get him out of the cage; I think that was my fault by startling him though. We still have trust issues, as he is still all huffy/puffy around me. I tried sitting in an empty room for him to bond with me, but he just layed in a corner and didn't move.

Any suggestions? Will some thick gloves be ok to use? I'd rather not use them, but I'd rather not get bit either. I just want him to like me! It's so frustrating. I'm trying to start feeding him outside his cage, but if he starts biting and getting too insane, that might be a problem. I know if he bites my mom, she will be way too afraid to feed him outside the cage. Any suggestions/hints/tips would be awesome. Thanks!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
welcome to the taming club....i too am going through it with my red tegu pyro and went through it with achilles. i say keep handling him daily, and spending time with him eventually he will come around. achilles has calmed down a great deal once he hit around 2', now he is 32" and loves to be handled! all it takes is time, patiencea and some hard work! good luck!

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
mine acted the same way. tegus learn to associate your hands with food if you cage feed. you should take him to his food rather than taking the food to him. you could have your mom feed him at night (before she goes to bed) while the tegu is sleeping. if he doesnt see her with the food he wont associate the food with her hands. I did this with my tegu when bin feeding wasnt possible and it helped alot.

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
place food in his enclosure while he's hiding so he doesnt see you feed him..tegus can go days w/o food so if he misses a day he will be quite alright MBD takes a while to develope and as long as you have the correct UVB levels your GU will be healthy as a horse! I know exactly how you feel about the aggression i went through the exact same thing with my eldest GU after a bit of an incident but let him free roam again BUT bring some homework with ya and completely ignore him..make sure he can't hide anywhere or get in any trouble somewhere. Then plop down do your homework and let the Gu come and investigate you, i found laying down helped my gu to feel more comfortable with me =P 4 hours and i could hold my GU again :)

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Are you by any chance Danielle ? If not I'm sorry. I just know someone who has a Tegu with the same name. Either way I would like to welcome you to the forum ;) .

Does the enclosure open from the top or does it have a sliding glass door in the front. If the opening is in the front this would help a lot. I would put the food on the floor and then open the door. Let Zeke walk out of his enclsoure and walk to his food. This way you or your mom don't have to touch him before he ate something. Tegus usually don't bite after they are full. This is the time i recommend holding him for a while and then let him bask. I also would wait as long to feed him. Even very tame Tegus like my Leonidas can and will bite when they are very hungry.

I know people say you shouldn't dig the Tegu up but in this case I would dig him up and then bring him to the food right away ( even if he isn't going to eat anything yet because he hasn't basked yet. Tegus are a bit more calm when they are cold and just woke up. This way he will learn that you or your mom will not bring the food to him any more.

Weedazon

5 Year Member
Thanks guys for all of your advice! I managed to get him out once to feed him, but all of the others times I went to pick him up he went in to hiding. I read that you're not supposed to bother them while in their hides, so I got frustrated and just put the food in his cage since he wasn't looking. It seems to be working ok, as he hasn't tried to lunge at me or anything lately. I will have to work with him more next weekend when I'm back at home. Also, his cage opens from the side, and it's on a shelf, so unfortunately I can't just let him walk out. He used to walk out on to my arm, but not anymore. Oh, and I'm Kelsey. =) My mom picked out the tegu name haha. Nice to meet you all!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me