• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding

Otis

My tegu won't eat outside his cage. Are there any strategies to get him to eat outside his cage?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Only a problem if the substrate is something that the tegu shouldn't accidentally eat. That would result in impaction, which means that the substrate is eaten and can't get pooped out. Otherwise, pick a specific food bowl and place food in it before tegu wakes up. They're smart. They'll look to the bowl for food. Eventually, you can tong-feed them treats and such. However, get him used to a specific food bowl. Wakes up, and there's the food.

DougY

I agree with Walter1. I feed my Tegu from the same deep bowl, in the exact same place in the enclosure, every time. He's healthy, friendly and is thriving.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu