• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

feeding schedule change?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
wmy tegu is now 5 1/2 mo. but she is over 40" long and she eats alot. her main diet consist of ground turkey/beef, beef/chicken liver, gizzards, chicken breast, telapia and the occaisional boiled eggs. and small rats or adult mice 2x a week she eats pretty much every day.she consumes almost a lb. of food a day. lately she has been bulking up to the point that after a meal her belly drags. im not sure if it is possible for her to be over weight. she definately weighs more than my iguana and he is over 4' a guestimate would be about 7-10lbs. now my question is should i start feeding her every few day like suggested for an adult tegu or should i keep her on her schedule.

pottymouth

5 Year Member
it's really all up to you to judge,but i think most would say at this age feed it just as much as it eats.At least until she/he starts to fill out more in width mabey a pic to lookat her/him.Also is your basking hot enough for SnoutToVent basking of it's body length 40" seems like you would need around 2 or so bulbs to cover her lol.i would just like to know more about it's setup and we could be a little more help.

Your diet though seems to really be working though with it being at 40 inches so i doubt your set up is off. But as you describe her belly dragging is it actually hitting the ground or does it clear the ground by a few inches etc.. also after she/he bask and dumps does it seem to equal it's body out again.

if she seems to be getting to where she can't get up and move like Tegu's Do for food the i say mabey tweek up ambient temps a bit get a little exersize in (climbing) seems to work them out a bit,and add a few degrees adjustment to it's basking spot and feed her every other day (judgement is key) or just a little less food daily.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well to answer your questions she is all set up in a small bedroom she has two hides(one normal one humid) she has a basking spot that reads 105-111 and the ambient temp range from 80-90 and rarely 94. a large cat pan to soak/poop and a small box with subsrate to dig in and burrow. her belly dosnt drag much only after meals lol. after she eats she basks then she poops and then her belly goes down im still waiting on my phone to come back to upload some pics but you can check out the jam and whitey offspring thread in the black and white forum i posted pics of her a few weeks ago when she was 38" her name is nero

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu