• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding questions??

Lauraj10551

I have a baby blue tegu I got on August 8th. His hatch date is July 28th. When I got him he was 22 grams, now he is 177 grams as of today. I feed him daily a mix of scrambled eggs, ground chicken, and turkey gizzards mixed with calcium. After he is done eating what he wants of that, I give him as many medium dubia as he will eat and about 4 - 5 superworms, both of those dusted with Repashy Calcium plus.

I am concerned because yesterday I witnessed him eating his own poop. I am told that he may be lacking something in his diet. I am not sure what this means? Any help would be appreciated. I have not been using a multivitamin. Should I be? And I also read somewhere about bone meal?
IMG_3092.jpg

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Make sure you use plenty of calcium...coat rather than dust if you are not already and gut load your insects on calcium rich veggies like collards.

Some baby animals eat poop for added minerals. Some just eat poop. :p

Lauraj10551

Ok.. I was suprised when I saw him do it, but then it was making more sense because I would hardly see poop in his cage and kept wondering if he was impacted. But now that mystery is solved. And I am also going to start give him more liquid calcium also. Thanks for your help!

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Be careful with adding liquid calcium as it possible to overdose on calcium and I would feed less eggs. Maybe add in a rodent, some fish filets or silversides. Shrimp. Remember variety is always

Blue Maveric

I have a blue hatchling coming next week an I wanted to know if this diet was acceptable.
Monday-Thursday
Ground chicken, bones included
friday, Saturday
ground turkey, chicken liver mix with multivitamins
Sundays
pinks.?
Or do I have to include bug?

dx2killa

I have a blue hatchling coming next week an I wanted to know if this diet was acceptable.
Monday-Thursday
Ground chicken, bones included
friday, Saturday
ground turkey, chicken liver mix with multivitamins
Sundays
pinks.?
Or do I have to include bug?
You do not need to feed bugs. But many people include bugs in there diet like crickets superworms Dubia etc.

Lauraj10551

Be careful with adding liquid calcium as it possible to overdose on calcium and I would feed less eggs. Maybe add in a rodent, some fish filets or silversides. Shrimp. Remember variety is always

My issue is he LOVES scrambled eggs and will only eat his ground meat and chicken if it's mixed in with the eggs. I'm trying to do less eggs more meat so that at least he can smell the eggs, but eat more of the meat. Some days he does really good, some days he just wants dubia and superworms. I have yet to feed him a pinky.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
That's why eggs aren't recommended very often, tegus tend to get addicted to them and too much eggs can lead to deficiencies. Try weaning off of them or just go cold turkey, meaning just stop offering them and he will eat eventually. Really try to get some whole prey into the diet. Rodents and day old quail until he's big enough for chicks too. Fish shrimp etch but rodents do play an important role however go as big as you can so if he can take a fuzzy rather than a pinky cuz the older the prey the more developed their bones are.

Matthew Krzemienski

Just got my hare-today order and everything came still frozen and nicely packaged. So far, the 1 day old quail were a big hit and they liked the ground goose. I ordered a little of everything and will see what they like.

KritterKeeper

When I order from hare-today I thaw it most of the way, then divide it into thin-ish hamburger type patties and freeze it in layers on wax paper. Once its frozen I put the slices in freezer bags and can easily just get out what I need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont