• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding dove eggs?????

goodtimes

5 Year Member
So I was at the pet shop where I get mice for Pal and noticed some eggs in the dove cage (ring neck doves). My parents have a couple and they are always laying eggs. I was talking to my Mom about feeding them to Samus and we both agreed that it was a good idea. Back on point, I asked the shop owner what he does with them and he said "we just throw them out". I asked if I could have them and he said sure. He also said he would save them for me if I wanted. Any how, I brought four of them home and Samus loved them. He ate them shell and all. He even licked up the few drops that got away. Samus would pick them up, crack them, swallow down the egg, then eat the shell.

Does any one think that these would be a bad food item from time to time?

AB^

5 Year Member
Nope, just dont make them a large portion of the diet and you'll be fine. fertilized eggs are much better than unfertilized ones too. I used to use quail eggs.

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Right on, thanks. I figured as much. It is always nice to get other opinions. It would definitly be no more than once a week and it will be acompanied by some other food. Since you mention quail eggs, how about little quail...the japanese ones. I can't remember the names, but there is a breeder just down the street from me and he has two varieties. They are pretty small. Are the feathers a real concern if I use them a couple times a month or so? I am gonna post a few pics of Samus right now check it out under "Samus growing like a weed"

JBW Exotics

I raise quail and feed mine quail eggs.. They have no bad cholesterol and much more nutrition and vitamins. I imagine dove eggs are similar.

G

Do you let the eggs mature before you feed .. We have chicken eggs that don`t hatch but are fully formed I plan on saving them by freezing and feeding to my Tegu ... We also hatch Quail, Chuckers, ducks geese and pheasants..

JBW Exotics

Not specifically for feeding. I feed the ones that die coming out of the egg though. No need to waste them and tegus love them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu