• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Extreme Giant Seizure, front legs paralyzed!!!

tommylee22

Just a thought, is there a chance you over dosed the Tegu on Calcium with D3?? I've been told to stay away from D3. You said you give a generous amount of calcium in the food. Also the enclosure seems off. Why not post the video or picks of them in enclosure.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
Sounds like heat stroke to me. I've seen plenty of reptiles come into the store that have been accidentally overheated in their enclosure and have permanent brain damage :(

Especially when you said the part about the gagging, animals typically will throw up any food when they overheat from what I've seen.

SuperSkylar

Can't post the videos because there too long...
I can take a pic of my 220 gallon tomorrow if you guys don't believe I have it Lmao smh...
Here is the 20 gallon.
P.s. not heat stroke. The tank has never been over 120, probably much much cooler.
I took the uvb light off so u can see better.

Attachments

• IMAG0528.jpg
    IMAG0528.jpg
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 41

SuperSkylar

Lol sorry, on my phone n it only posted 1. It's on carpet. But as previously stated its Coco shells n Cyprus mulch.

Attachments

• IMAG0527.jpg
    IMAG0527.jpg
    861.2 KB · Views: 28

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
im sorry to say but that is not a good setup at all! Iv heard that the red bulbs can damage their eyes but that small of an enclosure would be very difficult to provide enough of a basking spot without having what should be the cool side, over heat as well... and you also dont have any hides, designated basking area like a flat rock or some sort. The water dish is also way too small. Im sorry but one, ley alone two tegus in there is horrible. If you were not ready to provide the proper enclosure from the very first day you brought your tegus home, you shldn't have got them. My guess would be over heating as well... If I were you I would fix your husbandry errors before your other tegu suffers as well

TheTeguGurl

I am going to have to agree with the post above. Red heat bulb cause problems with the eyes and with as warm as they get your tegu doesnt look like he has a place to hide from the hot spot they create. I recommend that you get a bigger enclosure and correct the temps and get your little guy to a vet to rule out anything.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So you have a 150W red light on that tiny cage? If the temps in your house are in the high 90's the temp in the cage is at least that. If you don't get things fixed soon, you will have 2 dead tegus. I'm not sure of the dimensions on a 220 gallon, but if you don't have a way to cool the house/room the tank is in, it won't make a difference. They need to be able to get to a cool spot of 75 or at least 80.

Johnnydr

That is a super tiny cage, but husbandry issues aside, I do have a '11 AA that has a spine issue that affected the back legs. It's a Varnyard. He had just the smallest little bump on his upper spine and with time and a lot of good supplementation, he recovered in about a week. Still a bit awkward with her balance, but it sorted itself out from what I can tell.

With a healthy looking animal, I would assume husbandry issues.......especially if it was perfectly fine when you got it.....but if it's not husbandry, I thought I'd throw in the possibility of spinal damage, since I'm familiar with it.

SuperSkylar

You guys really need to listen and read through the whole thread. As I said, I havnt been using the red heat lamp. Also, it was temporary for 2 6" tegus. I have a 220 gallon tank. But they were too small for it. If your upset about it, take it up with bobby, because that's what he told me to do. (and sorry, but I think its a fair assumption he's quite more knowlegable than all of you).

Also, as I said. When I frantically posted this and was replying within that hour, I miss spoke. It is a constant 80. I rarely put the red light up. But I figured I would, maybe give her more energy.

So please, take the time and responcibility to read and pay attention to what happened. Because its hard enough having my sweet poor animal have a seizure and seem like its gradually fading, just to have rediculous acusations thrown at you.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Regardless of the temperature and red bulb, it is still way too small of a cage, if you dont have the money to go buy at least a 40gal as a temporary set up because the 220 gal is too big, than at least go to walmart and get a large rubbermaid tote, anything larger than what they are in! That almost seems like tegu jail....
And a hide and larger dish..
An upside down cardboard box with a hole cut in it is easy enough to provide, and if you have dishes to eat out of, then you should be able to offer a larger dish, large enough to if they wanted to soak their entire body they could...

Im sorry if you take offense to the replies here, but we are animal lovers and stick up for the animals. You posted a photo of a cage that is no where near appropriate housing for one, let alone two tegus (even at hatchling size) so what did you expect our replies to be like?

SuperSkylar

SnakeCharmr728 said:
Regardless of the temperature and red bulb, it is still way too small of a cage, if you dont have the money to go buy at least a 40gal as a temporary set up because the 220 gal is too big, than at least go to walmart and get a large rubbermaid tote, anything larger than what they are in! That almost seems like tegu jail....
And a hide and larger dish..
An upside down cardboard box with a hole cut in it is easy enough to provide, and if you have dishes to eat out of, then you should be able to offer a larger dish, large enough to if they wanted to soak their entire body they could...

Im sorry if you take offense to the replies here, but we are animal lovers and stick up for the animals. You posted a photo of a cage that is no where near appropriate housing for one, let alone two tegus (even at hatchling size) so what did you expect our replies to be like?
Well I still don't agree with the size issue.. but that's just difference of opinion. I will go and buy a large tote or box.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You posted 3 hours after your first post that temps were a steady 100 degrees in your apartment during the day. Maybe you should re-read your posts and get your story straight. If you aren't honest, nobody can help you. It isn't our tegu whose life is in jeopardy, its yours

SuperSkylar

I am NOT a bad keeper, and DO care DEEPLY for these animals. The minute we agreed the cage was too small, I drove out to OSH and bought the materials for a 4 foot x 4 foot enclosure. Will be set up tonight. So please no more silly remarks.

Oh 3 hours? I'm glad you fully understand and have mastered how the human brain works and reacts in an emergency cituation... Clearly you've never been flustered..

Attachments

• IMAG0529.jpg
    IMAG0529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It has nothing to do with how the human brain works. You say you haven't been using a basking light because the temps have been getting up to 100. This is 100 with no light, so that would mean the entire enclosure is 100 degrees. If you were using the light and getting a basking spot of 100 that would be a different story.

What are the dimensions of the 220 gallon? Why not just use that and put a piece of wood in it to divide it to make it a usable size?

SuperSkylar

james.w said:
It has nothing to do with how the human brain works. You say you haven't been using a basking light because the temps have been getting up to 100. This is 100 with no light, so that would mean the entire enclosure is 100 degrees. If you were using the light and getting a basking spot of 100 that would be a different story.

What are the dimensions of the 220 gallon? Why not just use that and put a piece of wood in it to divide it to make it a usable size?

Why are you still instigating this? I already explained my numbers were off.
Do you really need to continue to beat a dead horse with a stick. You seem to be stuck on this. You have never been in a situation where you thought an appointment or class was at 2:30, but was actually 4:30?? Now add in that I wake up at night, after getting next to no rest the night before, to my sweet baby $400 Tegu upside down seizing...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok you are right, what are the current temps? What are the dimensions of the 220 gallon? Why not just use that and put a piece of wood in it to divide it to make it a usable size?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu