• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Enclosure Question..I know, More Enclosure Questions :|

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
Okay, so I'm going to start building a 5x2x2 for my 19 inch long Tegu.
He has MBD, so I'm not worrying about him outgrowing this enclosure anytime soon, he's pretty stunted.

I know most people have the bulbs inserted inside the enclosure.

I was wondering if it would work if I cut circular holes in the top of the enclosure to the size of a dome lamp. And then put the dome lamps on top of the enclosure.

This would seal off humidity since the holes would only be the size of the dome, no bigger.

I'm just not good electrically and this is the only thing I can think of that I'd be able to do myself. I'm 17 and I have my 2 friends helping me to make this enclosure :p

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How old is the Tegu? Got any pics?

Are you using a Mercury Vapor bulb for UVB? I'd suggest putting a piece of 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth (metal screen) between the bulb and cage, just in case he decides to jump at the light, they be won't burn himself. Also screw the dome to the top of the enclosure (2 screws are fine) so it doesn't get bumped out of place and possibly start a fire.

I don't work about the humidity of the enclosure as much as the substrate being damp, where they spend the most time.

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
I have no idea on the age of him. The horrible people I purchased him from said "8 months". He's really small, but thats because of the MBD that he got under their care. And if he was 8 months when I got him, that makes him 14 months now.

I have a 100w Powersun right now and a Ceramic Heatwave Emitter.

Yeah, I was going to put mesh under the lamp, I just wasn't sure if people agreed with mounting domes on a 5 foot enclosure.

Thanks!

And I have pics up on here somewhere :)

Here's another one, though:

DSC07387.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You're right, a dome isn't going to light up the enclosure. We use 4ft ReptiSun 10.0's in Home Depot shop light fixtures and 90W halogen bulbs from HD also. That lights up the whole 7ft x 3ft enclosure, and spreads out the UVB. I've read adult don't need anywhere near the amount of UVB since they're done growing.

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
Hm..

I heard what some people do is put a Powersun on the basking spot side and a reptisun tube light in the cool end just to be safe. I know that UVB can be overdone, but I've heard a lot of people on here say this is what they've done.

Powersuns and Mega Rays are one of the best bulbs for Tegus andt they don't come in tubes, so how do they manage to light entire 8 foot enclosures?

With the dome, I figured perhaps it COULD suffice since there is only enough opening for the bulb to shine in and not escape through the top of the enclosure if the dome is screwed down.

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
Haha, bare with me I drew this on Microsoft Pain in 5 second :)

untitled.jpg

Okay, so what I was thinking was if the domes are only open at the bottom where light is shining through, would the light now spread out and shine at all angles?

If not, getting strip lights are no problem, I can always make openings for those aswell :)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
CaterpillarGiraffe said:
Okay, so what I was thinking was if the domes are only open at the bottom where light is shining through, would the light now spread out and shine at all angles?

If not, getting strip lights are no problem, I can always make openings for those aswell :)
No, it will be fairly dark on the other side.

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
Alright, thanks I'll guess I'll get Reptisun 10.0 unless my friends know how to bulb the lights inside the enclosure.

My Dad knows how to do ALL of this, but he's really ill right now.

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
when i used to have my tegu i used a powersun to a reptisun 10.0 bulb. never had any mbd problem or anything

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
On my 4x2x2 and my 8x4x3 I do the powersuns on the basking side, and the reptisun/reptiglow tube lights for the cool side, 18" and 24" varying on cage size...I would highly suggest it just incase your tegu hangs out on the cool side alot so it can always be getting the proper UVB. Hope this helps.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
here, check this out. this is how i did my retic cages and how i'm probably going to do my tegu cage lighting.....

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3820" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3820</a><!-- l -->

ReptileFanatic!

5 Year Member
Its really simple. Buy some standard bulb fittings.. make sure they're Screw ones.. buy 2 of them

Screw these into the roof of the vivarium.. and make a hole at the back to plug the cable through. ( it would be easier if you cut a 'U' shape at the top of the viv at the back wall, and put the wires through there BEFORE putting the roof on.. ( i found this saved me time) use 2 of them.. your powersun, and your ceramic. the way im planning to do it is, to find out what the Solar Glo temps are ( say 100F) in the day then at night im gonna use a 150W ceramic heat wave emitter on a pulse thermostat. Its really simple to set the light fittings in the viv ( id buy a guard for your lights so he doesn't get burn't)
your tegu is really stunted, mines only a few months old and is about 20 inch snout to tail.
Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan