• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Eating less as they get older?

Chuey

5 Year Member
So in Sept my blue will be about 2 years old. I have a question now that he is pretty much maxed out in growth, have you noticed your Tegu's eating less? Mine is not eating every few days as opposed to twice a day every day and he is starting to have a strong preference for mice and won't always take the other varieties of food we offer which is many (turkey, liver, gizzards, hearts, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, boiled chicken, roaches etc...etc...)

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thats interesting i am noticing the same thing with nero, athough nero isnt even a year yet! she will not eat ground turkey, she will take a few bites of chicken breast an telapia and the occaisional egg, but the only food she will go nuts for is rats!

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
i can't say i agree with that...i've noticed in all my tegus a serious appetite increase with time...i mean my eldest tegu eats more now than he did in the peak of summer last year, oh geez and it's not even summer yet, but all my tegus have been ravenous eaters for me and eat whatever i put infront them. It is proven that reptiles will eat their favorite foods but YOU have to be in "control" enough to make sure they eat everything else...i went through this with my sav but through work and foodless days he's realized he nees to eat bugs more than meat...

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My blue tegu will be 4 in september and he'll eat other things but perfers his rats to almost anything. His appitie picks up the first month out of his slow down (this was the first year he actully hibernated). Then for the rest of the year he'll eat one big meal a week. Right now his eatting everyother day.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our adult Blues like rodents but they also like turkey, fish & soft fruits. They have no interest in bugs. Since they're full grown I only feed them about every 2 or 3 days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu