• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Easy food ideas

First Time Tegu

5 Year Member
OK so I have been feeding Tai mainly a diet of ground turkey/beef and mice, with the occasional fruit. I have wanted to change it up for a while but just couldn't find an easy way to prepare most of the foods on the 'Tegu food list' post.

The other day I went to the store to get a lot of different things to see if he liked them. I blended Beef Liver, Ground Turkey, Chicken Gizzards/Hearts, and Asparagus together...this way I can freeze a large amount of it and just thaw it out when its time for him to eat. I'm not sure if he really likes it or not because it takes him a little while before he eats it (very unusual for him), plus he tends to only eat half as much as usual. So now it appears that I need to find something else for him since he doesn't like much of it.

My question is: What kind of whole fish can I feed him? It would be nice if they generally are sold at most grocery stores. Also, where can I get snails from? Can they crunch through the shell easily, or do I need to find some that have already been removed from their shells?

Thanks for the help.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well for my tegus i feed all the items you mentioned above minus the asparagus plus i add chicken breast, eggs, and ground beef. they take it readily. i just dust every feeding and supplement with rodents. if your tegu starts refusing it i would try to remove some of the ingredients and switch them around. also i have noticed when my tegus are relunctant to eat something a simple " dip it in raw egg" or "add some telapia" works wonders. mines all go nuts over chicken breast and telapia. i hant tried whole fish yet, but with the snails, the wild tegus eat alot of land snails and i hardly think any tegu would have trouble cracking the shell lol! just my 2 cents from my personal experience! hopes it helps.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
Try removing an ingredient and/or adding cod liver oil to the blend if your tegu likes cod liver oil. Not only does it induce hunger to those that enjoy it, but it's very healthy and supplemental. Don't know where to get snails but I would like to know. My Tegu REALLY ENJOYS Chicken Livers and Chicken Liver blended with Ground Turkey and Cod Liver oil. She eats more of that stuff than anything else (other than mice). Chicken Livers are in my local Safeway and come in little Plastic tubs for $1.99. She didn't like beef liver at all...

Cheers,
-BLAIR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me