• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Dwarf Chilean Tegu

Machs70

I once had a Dwarf Chilean Tegu, I know they are not true tegus, but he was a still a great pet. I don't see them anywhere anymore, does anyone have them in the u.S. either wild or cb?

Greenmanbacchus

5 Year Member
Machs70 said:
I once had a Dwarf Chilean Tegu, I know they are not true tegus, but he was a still a great pet. I don't see them anywhere anymore, does anyone have them in the u.S. either wild or cb?
Hey Machs70 :) Welcome to the board. A quick search on the Internet says that Maximum Reptiles has 'em for $50.00. I've never bought from them (or heard of them) so I can't speak for how they are...do your homework ;)
Good Luck!
GMB
[attachment=0]

Attachments

• CHILEANDWARFTEGU.jpg
    514 bytes · Views: 39

kaa

5 Year Member
I would guess about a 4x2, And probably the same husbandry as any other tegu. But I am just guessing. No clue how big they get.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If i remember rightly (i haven't seen them in the pet market for about 6 years now, wow has it really been that long, crazy) They are alot smaller than a tegu, only getting about 2 feet total including tail. They are more like a whiptail then a tegu personality wise but still a really cool looking lizard. If i remember all the ones that use to come in where imports no one was breeding them and they do have a bit of a special diet (they are lizard eatters, again its been awhile).

I'm guessing no one is importing them anymore it seems like everyone has started with the columbian tegu now.

Machs70

Yeah, they love eating smaller lizards, mine ate superworms and crickets also, but not always. He was a picky eater, I would buy anoles,which he always loved, he would go after them violently and hunt them down and you would hear them crunch as he was eating them. It got a little costly for me back in the late 80's, mine was a male with a salmon colored belly about 2 ft long head to tail, very similar in size to a Jeweled Lacerta. He was very tame but very fast as well. I already tried to get a hold of Maximum Reptiles, which is the only place I found that says they have them but the phone # does not work, and they are not returning my e-mails.

Machs70

Here are some pics of "Lester" they are scanned old pics.

Attachments

• lester 001.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 75
  • 4.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 23
  • 5.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 9

AB^

5 Year Member
Chile is closed to export now so the only ones you'd be able to find (if you were actually able to find some) would be illegally smuggled animals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980