• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

dwarf caimen info

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i have been thinking about getting a caimen for the last year or so. im wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. just wondering how easy it wold be to be a hold of one since i dont see them very often. and how hard it would be to tame them down.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are fairly easy to get if they are legal where you live. They don't tame down. They require very large enclosures. Lots of food and lots of respect.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had an alligator for a short while, someone dropped it off at my door step in a cooler. I tell you that was very different from my experience with Caimans. The dwarfs I had worked with were all um how should I put this, temperamental. I got to work with a few hatchlings and sometimes they ate and sometimes the took your finger instead. They were really flighty to, I would compare a dwarf caiman and alligator to a Colombian and an Arg tegu. They were pickely on what they ate, they often hid and just were not the greatest. On the other hand I also got to work with a 4 foot male who had been hand picked due to his nature and willingness to eat as a baby. He was a lot like a gator only a lot faster. That being said if he was mad he would show it. My buddy that kept the larger caiman said that we wouldn't do it again, it was hard to tame him and he still does not feel comfortable handling him.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
thanks, i dont hear of too many people taming them down. im eventually going to move down to florida and that would be the time i get one.maybe ill just stick with my monitors lol.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If size is not a great factor in making your decision, I'd go with an alligator. Unless of course you know you cannot meet its required needs. I've had my gator for as long as I can remember, and she's a sweetheart; too bad shes about a 2nd drive away.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
the only probelem id have with size is when it starts to get around the 7 feet mark. and transporting it. ill probably get one once i go to florida. i think their illegal there tho.=/ i wouldent have a problem meeting their needs when i get a house i plan on building a out door enclosure for my bigger animals.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Doesn't the guy who posted the pics of that spectacular reptile greenhouse have a caiman or two? I recall seeing pics of some on his post. He sounds like someone who'd be good to ask for advice. Years ago I had a friend with a caiman but after it nearly took his hand off his mom got rid of it.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=10580#axzz1jh3geUVV

Here is the greenhouse post with the pics of the Caimans.

thamilton219

Well if it helps there more agressive than alligators and they eat 4 times aweek and i had tame mines down BUT IT TAKES LOT OF HANDLING but its worth it but i would say tame hes real tolerent

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thamilton219 said:
Well if it helps there more agressive than alligators and they eat 4 times aweek and i had tame mines down BUT IT TAKES LOT OF HANDLING but its worth it but i would say tame hes real tolerent

Can you post some pics of yours and the enclosure?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont