• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do they always try to get away?

jtrux

5 Year Member
Just curious...when did your tegu start to "enjoy" being held? Mine will gladly come out of his enclosure but is not content just sitting there at all. He wants to explore everything. I always here stories where people have tegus that will sit on their lap while they watch tv but I have yet to experience that at all. He just wants to go go go. Is this pretty typical or is there an age where they begin to calm down?

Tannaros

Just curious...when did your tegu start to "enjoy" being held? Mine will gladly come out of his enclosure but is not content just sitting there at all. He wants to explore everything. I always here stories where people have tegus that will sit on their lap while they watch tv but I have yet to experience that at all. He just wants to go go go. Is this pretty typical or is there an age where they begin to calm down?

My only tegu who really fits the description of a lazy lizard would be the one who has a slight back problem. She would prefer to just sit with me wherever I happen to be. She's a cuddle bug and likes attention overall.

For the most part, others tend to be somewhat of free spirits and much prefer to explore around and dislike being restrained at all. They're fairly energetic now that I think of it.

Tyler137

Mine is kind of the same way, as soon as I put my hand in her cage she jumps onto it and comes out but then doesn't want to sit still.. Should calm down eventually mine is only 6 weeks old.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Interesting. Mine is 11 months old and almost 36". When he decides he wants to get into something, he just goes for it, not much can stop him lol.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine like to walk and explore. Once they are done walking and getting into everything, they might sit next to me.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Yea, he will come back eventually but it takes a while and he will usually find a place he likes better than me.

Concept Dragons

I've got mine now for 13 days and he is almost a month old. I get him out by putting my hand in the cage and within a minute he'll be on top of it so I can take him out. I then usually go and watch tv and he will start exploring the couch. after about 10 minutes he'll come back and sit on my shoulder or head and just rest there :) . So I guess it depends on the gu.

jtrux

5 Year Member
I just had mine out right now and the only time he gets hissy is when he crawls into a corner and sort of hunkers down and if I try to grab him when he's like that he will get all pissy. but he doesn't actually do anything.

karljr2k4

my little guy is 2 1/2 months now and he loves to explore. when i take him out his enclosure he will go on my shoulder is head and when im on the couch he usually jumps down and goes exploring and usually winds up under the couch until i get him out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu