• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do Blue Tegu Hibernate?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine never has for the last 3 years. He slows down a bit and doesn't eat nearly as much. I don't change much come winter i shorten the light time a bit but the natural cooling is enough for him. DaveDragon has more experiance with blues, but he also notice that they don't hibernate.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, ours don't hibernate. We see them every few days but obviously we aren't there all day watching them, so they probably get up most days to bask a little. I reduce the light period from 12 hours to 8 hours. I offer food on the weekend IF we see them. Our Red does go down for 2 or 3 months.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If I understand correctly... Blue Tegus are the same species as Arg. Black and Whites... they are just a diffeent "color morph".

If this understanding is accurate, then their needs/care would be the same...

I'm very curious as to whether or not they are truly different color morphs of the same species... and if so whether or not they pass their blue coloration via mendelaian inheritance...

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think they are a variation, probably should be a sub species. They breed later, they hatch black & gold with no green head vs. the B&W's hatch black & white with green heads. Other than that I believe their care should be the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980