• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Different taming technique any opinions welcome

Neeko

I've read and talked to a couple bearded dragon breeder about beardeds and how to set up their enclosure. Basically heat, lights substrate and basking platform. Anyone ever try this technique for a tegu? I know they aren't the same animal have different needs and all. Its basically a zero hide enclosure.
Right now I have all my Tegus in with fake plants and logs and what not just so no ones alarmed.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Technically you could probably get away with no hides as long as the substrate is deep enough for them to completely burrow. Not sure if it would cause any unneeded stress.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
If you have no hides have a deep substrate so your tegu can burrow in. Tegus are not beardies. Tegus are burrowing lizards and like the security of a burrow.

herpgirl2510

I would als have hides tegus need to feel secure this is what they do in the wild. Beardies are out more basking on fences rocks around people in the wild. My extreme stayed buried most of the time for the first two weeks I just let him be.

Neeko

My guys bask a lot. Female is up me hours before male usually and sleeps before him too. They hide under all the fake plants I have on there. Or burrow not sure but I don't see them after 5 pm or so and don't want to disturbing them.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Gotta go with everybody else on that one...either a hide OR deep substrate. Preferably both, though.

It's pretty sad to look at a half-buried tegu because he/she can't fully hide the way they'd probably prefer. You'll probably find that your tegu takes to you better as well because he will probably feel more secure.

Neeko

I got logs and fake plants and 4 inches of substrate in my cage, it was just a theory. my girl even made a burrow to her hide and basking spot. I some time wonder if I have tegus at all

herpgirl2510

LOL I know it sucks in the beginning. I tried to avoid it by getting sub adults but they are the same way only in a bigger body.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu