• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Different foods

Austman

5 Year Member
I was just curious about feeding my lizard different foods. I hunt and I was reading on here about beef liver. What are the risks if I choose to feed my tegu black bear or deer liver? I understand there may be some risk of parasites but it would be a great way to use a few wasted organs. What about kidneys? Any advice would be appreciated.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
First off Welcom to Tegu Talk. Tegus are oppertunist meaning they will eat just about anything. As long as the meat is safe than in moderation really you can use any type of meat. But in MODERATION.

Austman

5 Year Member
Thank you. I just stumbled across this amazing resource and learnt alot about my young tegu. I'm now in the process of completely revamping his diet. I think he is doing good but with the info on this site I think he will start doing great.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Don't know about bear, they hibernate for long periods and perhaps are more susceptible to parasites. Deer should be fine. Generally speaking, wild game or free range animals are the healthiest/hormone/antibiotic free food you can feed yourself or your pets.

My main concern with feeding raw bear or pork would be trichinosis, but not sure if it would even harm a tegu.

I know Bobby Hill feeds his outdoor enclosed tegus southern toads and he says he believes the toxins in the toads perhaps combat parasites. He is in fact pretty adamant that the toads keep parasites at bay.

...Jefroka

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Wanted to add, if you freeze wild game, and I believe that goes for meat even with trichinosis, it will kill most anything, then it's probaly safe to feed to your tegu.

Anyone else care to chime in?

...Jefroka

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
I can tell you that wild game stored at room temperatures will only increase bacteria growth. Wild game already has a high bacteria content. To kill most of the harmful bacteria, the meat must be frozen at or below 40*F. Make sure to realize that for every 5 pounds of meat needs to stay frozen for 24 hours. Thaw in microwave or warm water.

But, look into this issue. I'm not even sure about raw.

Austman

5 Year Member
I know that the meat must be frozen to -18C (not sure about F) and that would kill all bacteria unless they spore. I would be referencing the species and known common bacteria associated. I was more curious about nutrient benefits and if anyone has tried anything similar and how it worked. Thank you all for the info, the more the better.

whoru

5 Year Member
my joanna like all kinds of food eggs fish turkey some fruits she is very divers in what she will eat

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
Tegus eat about anything in the wild including roadkill, but they don't live as long in the wild as they do in captivity.It might be ok to feed wild game organs, but theres the possibility of bacterial infection and parasites. i think freezing the meat is a good safe guard but I probably wouldnt feed wild game. If you decide to feed the organs you can also grind up the lean meat and use that as well.

johnlebel

can hamburger ground beef patties be fed to them? also with chicken breast how do you prep it just defrost it to room temp or warmer?

G

I think ground turkey is more recommended, the beef has a lot of fat in comparison. But I'm still new to tegus...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu