• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Diego bit me today . .

Hally

Things have been going well since Diego came 6 weeks ago, the shyness has gone and he has been quite relaxed around me. Unfortunetely a few days ago he got himself wedged behind his viv. I tried to encourage him out and left him to come on his own but to no avail. I took matters in hand and gently picked him up and moved him back into the viv. Diego wasn't to impressed though and bit me! I can't blame him, just wondering if you think he will hold this against me for a long time?

kellen.watkins

No you can get that trust back. I broke the trust with my extreme and she came back around. Had to start from square one though

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A small incident, don't worry it happens often. It may be a minor set back or may be not but either way he'll come around. Just keep working with him.

I had a similar situation with Korben about 2 weeks ago. I was going to put him back in his cage and he flipped. So I let him calm down before picking him up. He was fine until I got to his cage and he turned and bit me just before I put him in. It wasn't a big deal and he didn't put too much into it. But I still had a glove on since he's not to be completely trusted yet.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Like stated above, don't worry too much about it. These guys are smart, he'll learn to forget and forgive, let's put it that way. It might set you back a bit, but you should be fine.

Sirhc401

100% agree. Sometimes that is one good thing about animals is there memory is not the greatest. But I certainly hope you Don't have anymore problems like this it just does not feel good when your little buddy bites.

Hally

Thanks for the replies.

I should have been a bit more cautious really. I am just glad it was now that he is 3 feet and not when he was any bigger (I can not believe that the baby looking Tegu I had 6 weeks ago is already so big).

I will keep you posted on how making up goes.

kellen.watkins

I know what you mean by how quick they grow. Eli was born at the end of july I was looking at a baby pic on my phone and thought of it when I was holding him this morning. My hand won't fit around his abdomen anymore! Lol

Non Crimen

Hally said:
Thanks for the replies.

I should have been a bit more cautious really. I am just glad it was now that he is 3 feet and not when he was any bigger (I can not believe that the baby looking Tegu I had 6 weeks ago is already so big).

I will keep you posted on how making up goes.

Pun intended? lol

Hally

No pun intended (in fact I can't see it now and I am looking for it!)

As an update we are getting on okay and the bite wasn't really a set back. He is taming down really nicely so all is good in the world.

Dana C

Gordo, my adult male, is just now getting to know me and trust me. Late last week, he met me at the door to his cage and seemed to enjoy being stroked and started nuzzling my hand. After a few seconds I remembered that Eva did the same thing and bit me. Gordo did the exact same thing.
The bite which if he wanted it to be could have been serious. His bite wasn't defensive, or a prey item strike as it was slower, deliberate and thoughtful. It did cut my hand enough that I bled a little but really didn't do any damage other than a small cut.

I surmised that he was communicating something to me and the question was what? About a half an hour later, I took him out of his cage, which he was good with and took him to the bathroom. He took a 10 minute bath and came out of the tub. I had placed a plate of venison and turkey on a salad plate on the floor which he immediately ate. He was all hugs and kisses after that.

What did I learn? I think he was 1. hungry 2. wanted out 3. wanted a bath as he wants to poop and pee elsewhere other than his cage.
The result?; I pay very close attention to his body language and what he is trying to tell me. Since that incident, we have become much closer and he likes to spend more time on me, lap, shoulder, chest etc. than away from me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu