• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Desert Tortoise/Lifetime pet

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
I couldn't find an online link to the article, but in the local paper there is an article about a little kid that was 6 and lived in California that found a desert tortoise in his front yard. The family kept it as a pet and took it with them whenever they would move and care for it, and named it Mike. The boy grew up and faught in WWII for three years and when he came home the tortoise went up to him with his head out wanting him to pet him. That guy is now 77 years old and still has the tortoise! The tortoise is hibernating in the picture they took for the article, they dont know how old it is, but the crazy thing is it is still the same size now as they day it wondered into his yard which is about 2'x1'x9" so no telling how old it really is. The article also told all the things the tortoise would do, and how smart he was and so on. But it is a really neat article. Also it said that when he dies, his son is going to care for it since he played with it all through his child hood, and his kids play with it when they go over to their grandpas house, and his granddaughter has petted it so its like a family member through 4 generations. So I thought that was pretty cool.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is awesome, thanks for sharing. They some torts can live well over 100 years, thats too cool.

nat

5 Year Member
the oldest tortoise in the world, Harriet died a year or two ago at the age of 188 and there is evidence to suggest that they can live over 200 years (at least some species). I know I intend to be hauling around Mona and Jack with me (my tortoises) for the rest of my life.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet</a><!-- m -->

ZEKE

5 Year Member
here is the part of the article that nat linked. those are both old torts!!

Harriet (c. 1830 Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ?¬Å¡Ã?¬Ã?â?¦Ã¢â?¬Å? June 23, 2006) was a GalÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¡pagos tortoise (Geochelone elephantopus porteri) who had an estimated age of 175 years at the time of her death in Australia. Harriet is the second oldest tortoise ever authenticated, the oldest being Tu'i Malila, who died in 1965 at the age of 188.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980