• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

de-lousing spray to kill bugs in cypress mulch?

preston897

i know a snake breeder, i got my carpet python from him, that uses cypress mulch for his large breeding cages. i use it in my cages as well. he said he uses de-lousing spray to kill the bugs. he puts the mulch in a tote and sprays it down really good then lets it sit for like a day or two. does anyone have any experience with this? the oven method seems way too difficult. baking enough mulch to fill a 6x3 cage 11" deep seems very difficult. does anyone have any other suggestions?

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
I tried "bulk" cypress mulch and had problems with bugs. I tried baking the mulch and it was just way too much to bake. I never tried any chemicals, instead I just went with aspen and haven't had any problems.

KSTAR

5 Year Member
isn't aspen bad to keep tegus in? Ive heard that it becomes to dusty and can cause respiratory infections....

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
KSTAR said:
isn't aspen bad to keep tegus in? Ive heard that it becomes to dusty and can cause respiratory infections....

I have been keeping them on it for over a year and haven't had any issues. It is dry and dusty, but so is cypress mulch and and eco earth when it is dry. I mist their cages every other day and both cages stay over 65% humidity. I should have also added that I mix in moss in their hide boxes.

preston897 said:
ive never heard of it getting dusty. i used to use it with my snakes and it was great. its just expensive.

I buy big bags from petsmart for about $12 a bag and I only need about 3 bags to fill one cage. You can order it online also and shipping is'nt that expensive because aspen is so light in weight.

preston897

and you dont get the issue with wood mites in aspen correct? does it go flat with the tegu walking on it? i plan on using 11" of substrate in my tegus cage. so thats alot of aspen.

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
Definatley no mites, the aspen I buy has already been treated and safe to usefor pets. It does compact after being walked on. But that is a good thing becase it holds burrows really well.

preston897

awsome! thankyou very much. im going to try that for my snakes and the tegu. i never thought of using the small animal aspen for my reptiles. all i thought about was the snake aspen you can get. that stuff is pricey

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me