• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cutting back?

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
I have a blue from Dave's last clutch. The thing is getting enormous. It is never NOT hungry. I feed a single mouse three times a week and turkey/fruit four. The tail looks like a tree trunk and the belly is fairly substantial. I'm reluctant to stop daily feedings, as the tegu isn't even a year old, but I want to prevent this guy from becoming a blob. Any opinions on maybe feeding 5 or 6 times a week as opposed to daily? I'd certainly be open to the option.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Now that is a tuffy. I personally wouldn't just becuase they are still growing at this age. They don't really become blobs untill growth and metabolism slows at about two years old. They can regulate thier food intake pretty well. Trust me my blue is almost four and he still eats like a chow hound and isn't what i'd say is fat, his a good wieght and very active still.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i agree, some tegus just may eat more than others, i didnt reduce nero's food intake until i noticed her sheds were coming less often and she want growing much! now she eats maybe 3 or 4 times a week(4 times if she is lucky) and she is still a chubby lil monster!

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Cool. I'll keep offering daily. I have a seven foot cage and a mega-ray, so I think the tegu is in an ideal situation. I want it to get huge, just not unhealthy fat. I'll try to get some pics soon, but trust me when I say it's a big blue. Eating. Machine. easily the best and most hardy lizard i've ever kept.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu