• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

CONGRESSIONAL HEARING TO BAN REPTILES! *HR669 DEFEATED!!*

Schnab

5 Year Member
I'm glade to hear that it didn't pass. What a stupid debate. Pretty much of all the animals in the States are imported, thousands would of lost their jobs as the pet industry would of gone down the drain. And what would they have done with all the confiscated animals? Destroy them? Damn, that would be a blood bath.

It's just a shame that people have a dislike and great misunderstanding for reptiles. A cat or dog can be just as "dangerous" as a snake or lizard. ANYTHING with sharp teeth, theres always a risk of getting bit. As for the salmonella, reptiles aren't the only thing that can carry it. Turtles I can understand why people would fear catching salmonella, they live in stagnant water. For a while there was a ban on turtles in Ottawa but they are back in the market since a few years ago.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
salmonella in reptiles isnt a risk in my opinion. less than 1% of the salmonella infections in the US are from the reptile related strand of salmonella. and you can get rid of that small risk if you just wash your hands or use some hand sanitizer (something that i think any reptile owner should get a bottle of) after you handle them or anything in their cage.

salmonella is no reason to ban reptiles, the reward of owning reptiles far outweighs the tiny risk of salmonella.

read more about salmonella in reptiles here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rexano.org/CDC_SalmonellaFrame.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rexano.org/CDC_SalmonellaFrame.htm</a><!-- m -->

Suzanne

5 Year Member
It's just a shame that people have a dislike and great misunderstanding for reptiles. A cat or dog can be just as "dangerous" as a snake or lizard. ANYTHING with sharp teeth, theres always a risk of getting bit. As for the salmonella, reptiles aren't the only thing that can carry it. Turtles I can understand why people would fear catching salmonella, they live in stagnant water. For a while there was a ban on turtles in Ottawa but they are back in the market since a few years ago.[/quote]

You're from Ottawa? So am I :!:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me