• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Confused And Wonderin??!!

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
So the tameing process is a slow one for me, because I don't always have a lot of extra time to just chill with the little gu due to being in college...However, I've never had any problems feeding or soaking. I could always reach in and pick him right up with no problem. He's not skittish in the least.

Until here recently, I can't even look at him. I go to open the cage and he darts under his hide like he's scared to death. Im not concerned, but its been about 2 days since his last feeding and soak and he really needs both, especially the soak because he's shedding badly.

1. Could I have done something to make him act like this all of a sudden or is it normal? If so, how do I correct it?

2. How do I go about feeding and soaking him without taking him out of his hide? I know thats a big no no.

Thanks.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
I find that my Tegu is skittish in the AM when she is not warmed up yet from basking. The later in the day, the more and more calm she is. I won't feed her or take her out until 2 hours after she has been awake and basking. Sometimes she doesn't even want to eat in her feeding bin but WILL eat in her cage, which on rare occasions, I'll allow her to do. She is less than a year old still and acts like a toddler... Her personality is developing and she is sometimes too crazy.

You could also try reaching in with your arm and hand in a sleeve of a sweater/sweatshirt. Maybe this will throw her off and be more open to you... Or even big gloves.

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
Thanks I'll try that with the sleeves.

Im beginning to think it may be the closet that he's in, well his cage. The doors sqeak terriably, and everytime I open them he jumps up and he looks kinda wild.

I noticed that when I was able to reach right in was when the doors had been open most of the day.

So, im going to try that as well.

Thanks.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
sclevenger08 said:
Im beginning to think it may be the closet that he's in, well his cage. The doors sqeak terriably, and everytime I open them he jumps up and he looks kinda wild.

Get some WD-40 for the hinges so they won't squeak. :)

Jason

5 Year Member
I can almost gaurantee it is the squeeky door spooking him. When I slide the top off of ollie's 60gal and forget to lift the light a little it makes a grinding sound. Thats the only time he ever acts wierd (books it to the other side of his cage). If I lift it and slide the top off quietly he just chills and walks up onto my hand when he's ready.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
sclevenger08 said:
Im beginning to think it may be the closet that he's in, well his cage. The doors sqeak terriably, and everytime I open them he jumps up and he looks kinda wild.Thanks.

Just to clarify...

Your Tegus cage is a closet... with a door it cannot see through...

So it spends all day/night quietly, calmly and safely relaxing in it's solid walled world... then suddenly a hole forms in one wall of it's world and this huge thing is moving aroudn in the hole...

well that would scare the **** out of me too...

I think if your Tegu had a window in it's door that it could look out and see the room... see you moving around frequently... seeing that you are not a threat... seeing you approach the door before opening... etc, etc...

...It might be much less afraid of the sudden change...

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
Toby_H said:
sclevenger08 said:
Im beginning to think it may be the closet that he's in, well his cage. The doors sqeak terriably, and everytime I open them he jumps up and he looks kinda wild.Thanks.

Just to clarify...

Your Tegus cage is a closet... with a door it cannot see through...

So it spends all day/night quietly, calmly and safely relaxing in it's solid walled world... then suddenly a hole forms in one wall of it's world and this huge thing is moving aroudn in the hole...

well that would scare the **** out of me too...

I think if your Tegu had a window in it's door that it could look out and see the room... see you moving around frequently... seeing that you are not a threat... seeing you approach the door before opening... etc, etc...

...It might be much less afraid of the sudden change...

haha, okay, his cage isn't a closet, his cage is in the closet. But I guess its the same thing, its still quiet and all of a sudden there I am.

Thats what I was saying that I thought about it and when the doors are open for awhile, I've never really had any problems with him.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
iy may or may not be the door opening thing that scares him i know with achilles he is in a huge tub that i solid blue all arond therefore he cant see out of it and he has actualy became quite calm since i have had him in there, and when i snap the top off he comes running wanting to be picked up, now nero is a different story for some reason she just dont like people, except me, when i enter the reptile room she will dart off o her hide only to return once she see its me, now if it was someone ese she wont comeout, even when im n the room if another person cmes in the room she hides or gets fussy!

fireimp141

I had both those problems with tyson. Had him in a closet with a 55g and when I would open the lid it would make a loud scratching noise. You should really get your gu in the open within human sight. I moved tyson into a 250g in the livingroom and now he seens the cats all day and us 3 moving around. He doesn't even budge anymore.

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
reptastic said:
iy may or may not be the door opening thing that scares him i know with achilles he is in a huge tub that i solid blue all arond therefore he cant see out of it and he has actualy became quite calm since i have had him in there, and when i snap the top off he comes running wanting to be picked up, now nero is a different story for some reason she just dont like people, except me, when i enter the reptile room she will dart off o her hide only to return once she see its me, now if it was someone ese she wont comeout, even when im n the room if another person cmes in the room she hides or gets fussy!

I have haggard in a big blue tub as well. Its his temp. cage until the next one is built. But, when I open the closet he flinches and sometimes when I open the lid he acts like he's nervous....

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
reptastic said:

I have haggard in a big blue tub as well. Its his temp. cage until the next one is built. But, when I open the closet he flinches and sometimes when I open the lid he acts like he's nervous....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me