• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Color

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They get a slight bluish tint. It's hard to photograph. Here's our male after he ripped up his nose last year.

100_5011_.jpg

I've heard they get it at about 18 months old, it's more noticeable in the males.

Beasty

5 Year Member
My boy Powder is showing crazy color now but it is hard to capture. I'll try my hand at it tomorrow again.
Here's Belle: --minutes from being sold, btw...
7-3-09-4web.jpg

You can see a hint of blue in her there.

Powder:
Hm6-09bedhead.jpg

The light makes it look blue but he is starting to show almost that much! The blue makes a hard line at his white belly scales!
He and Z are still for sale...at the moment.

kaa

5 Year Member
That is cool, I didn't know they actually had a blue color to them. I read your post about having to sell all of your animals, that is sad. I wish there was something I could do to help. Where are you moving to?

Beasty

5 Year Member
I'm moving to Birmingham, Alabama. Maybe I'll take Timo up on his offer to come out at Agama International to see what things are really like. We'll see.
Life happens when you least expect it.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beasty said:
I'm moving to Birmingham, Alabama. Maybe I'll take Timo up on his offer to come out at Agama International to see what things are really like. We'll see.
Life happens when you least expect it.
I thought you were moving to Florida to be near your kids?

Be prepared for a shock if you go to Agama. Did you read Russ Gurley's book on Bert? They feed the Tegu rancid whole chickens. The amount of flies and insects around are said to be amazing!! I heard Hester went back to the Netherlands, leaving Timo with the farm. There's no way he could run it like Bert did. I'd expect the place to be quite a stinking mess.

Beasty

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
I thought you were moving to Florida to be near your kids?

Be prepared for a shock if you go to Agama. Did you read Russ Gurley's book on Bert? They feed the Tegu rancid whole chickens. The amount of flies and insects around are said to be amazing!! I heard Hester went back to the Netherlands, leaving Timo with the farm. There's no way he could run it like Bert did. I'd expect the place to be quite a stinking mess.
Mom is in Bama, 10-12 hours from the kids...which is closer than the 3 day drive from here.
I had heard AI was in bad shape but not to that extent! Timo invited me down a couple months ago. I figured I might go by if I'm going to Mom's, I mean it's like 45-60 minutes away.
Belle and Powder and Z are all still available. Going to ship princess right now.

Beasty

5 Year Member
How's THIS for color?! Powder in the yard today 9-9-09
9-9-09PowderinhandWEB.jpg

9-9-09Powderinhand2WEB.jpg

9-9-09PowderinyardWEB.jpg

Now the key to getting any blue animal shots is:
1 a great camera,
2 possibly filters on said camera and
3 they have to be cool.
When they get cooler, the blue comes out to darken the skin so as to help absorb more light, ie. heat. When they are warm enough the blue will subside a bit. I noticed this in Grand Cayman Blue Rock Iguanas too to a degree. Overall attitude plays a factor as well. Seems they get more blue when agitated or during breeding.

I JUST sealed the deal on Belle! She will go to a breeder in Oklahoma who has much experience with tegus and actually knew Burt. Have to say, if I have to lose her at least she'll have a good home. He's now building a cage, indoors complete with Pampas grass! Can't wait to see finished pix of that!

Zaltys and Powder are still for sale. Ads at kingsnake.com for anyone interested.

kaa

5 Year Member
wow, they are awesome. i would love to have a blue. or even a black and white. i am loving these tegus. my next one is going to be an argentine of some sort.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980