• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

caught my tegu today

Grendel

Hi everyone, I have been reading this forum for a few months, but did not register/post because of what happened to my tegu. I got a 16 inch Argentinian black & white on craigslist last October. I had it for about 3 weeks and he/she was doing great, but then I made a tactical mistake. I went out on my back porch with it sitting on my shoulder. Before I could do anything, it jumped off my back and ran under the house. I went into the crawl space many times trying to find it, but never did. A month later my neighboor alerted me to a "large lizard" in her back yard. I could never find it. Then it got cold, low 30's for next 3 months. One week ago, when I was throwing out the trash I almost had a heart attack when I saw a black shape with white spots run past me and slip away under the house. I set a traps every day since then, but caught nothing. Today I was in my garage working when I saw the tegu peeking from behind some boxes. Long story short, I caught it. I cant believe its alive...looks a bit thin, but has a fresh shed and all its limbs. I was sure it was dead, but it survived the winter. So now I'm very happy and can post our story.

Jason

5 Year Member
wow! that's an amazing story. It must have been warm enough under the house to keep him from freezing. He probably hibernated through the winter. How much larger did he get since last time you saw him?

Jefroka

5 Year Member
That is one heck of a story! May need to bring a fecal to the vet to check for parasites. Glad you are reunited!

...Jefroka

Kebechet

Great story! I'm glad you got him/her back safely. I second the comment on how you should get your tegu checked out for parasites though.

Grendel

I measured him and he is just under 18 inches long, so he did not grow much in 8 months. But he has been devouring all food I put in front of him since yesterday. I'll post a picture of him later today.

Big Dave

It's nice to have a positive story about Tegus and Monitors. It just goes to show me AGAIN, drop your guard for a minute and that is when the little buggers will do something. I think if that happened to me my wife and 2 daughters would have killed me :) Happy for you

Grendel

Here are the pictures of the escapee. To Big Dave: my wife was not happy about it at all, she was worried we will end up on the news when a "giant man eating lizard" is found in our area.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 3

glk832

5 Year Member
Congrats on finding your tegu...... man thats a long time... glad it end well good luck in the future

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Wow. Reading your story gave me the chills. I'm so happy for you and your Tegu that all turned out well. Congrats on finding him ;) .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029