• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brumation?

Dinothelastdinosaur

I have 2 blue tegus,6 months old male& female.they have started to spend most of their time in the hide. Though they are very alert ,active, and hungry. The female, kiwi, did not come out today although peanut,the male, did and ate well.What are they doing? The breeder told me they wouldn't brumate their first year and it doesn't seem consistent with that. I am also not prepared for brumation at all because I thought I had a whole year .p!ease help
P.s. How do I post pics of my tegus?

Dinothelastdinosaur

Here are peanut and kiwi.

Attachments

• IMG_20211129_110214.jpg
    IMG_20211129_110214.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20211129_110256.jpg
    IMG_20211129_110256.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 17

spacesloth

I have 2 blue tegus,6 months old male& female.they have started to spend most of their time in the hide. Though they are very alert ,active, and hungry. The female, kiwi, did not come out today although peanut,the male, did and ate well.What are they doing? The breeder told me they wouldn't brumate their first year and it doesn't seem consistent with that. I am also not prepared for brumation at all because I thought I had a whole year .p!ease help
I think the idea that tegus don't brumate for their first year is false. Granted, I am not an expert and my evidence is anecdotal, but I know both my tegu and the reptile store worker's blue tegu brumated their first winter. It may change with each tegu, but I don't see any reason why a baby wouldn't brumate for their first winter. To my understanding, the evolutionary "logic" for brumating is to protect themselves from cooler weather and a decrease in resources. I doubt a hatchling has more defenses against the cold than an adult, so it seems strange to claim they wouldn't brumate. If your tegus do brumate, the only thing it affects is their growth rate. Since they will not be eating over winter, they will come out of brumation about the same size as when they entered it. Just means it will take an extra year or two to catch up to tegus who grow all winter. Don't be too worried! Mother Nature does its job pretty well.

Crazy4Reptiles

In the words of my wonderful exotic animal vet when I took my brand new, very sleepy tegu in for a health check "trust the tegu. She has a million years of dinosaur ancestors whispering that it's time to sleep." Yes,. I do love my vet. By the way... I picked Willow up on 9/25 and she buried herself under her water bowl 9/27. I clean the water bowl once a week so I get a peek at her. I can not wait until spring so I can officially meet her and get to know what it's like to have my dream lizard here.

Dinothelastdinosaur

Thank you both for your response,I have researched blue tegu brumation and it seems evenly split between ,they do brumate like other tegus, and that they are near equatorial animals and don't brumate. Anyway they are both back to normal ,up at 7 in their hide by 3. They eat well and come when call them by name. I think my open blinds were giving them winter signals and now with them closed ,everything is a o.k. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980