• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

blues are mating, what do i do next.

chriswizz

5 Year Member
my blues have been mating this week, im a first timer at this & wasnt expecting any thing to happen this soon. any how have been surfing this forum & still have a fiew questions un answered.
1) he is sexually mature but is she, shes 3ft long & nearly 2 years old.
2) what would the first signs of pregnancy be.
3) how long does she carry the eggs for before laying.
4) do i keep viv temps the same.
5) do i need to add nesting materials at a certain point, what to use.
6) how do i tell good eggs from bad eggs.
7) what temp should i incubate at & for how long until hatching.
sorry for all the questions but if some thing happens i want to be ready, if you have any good tips then please pass them on. thanks in advance.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What did you expect to happen when you put a male and female together? Even if the female's not ready, if the male is he will still try to mate with her. These are basic questions you should have the answers too before you start breeding. Most of them are answered in Important Threads at the top of this forum section.

"If something happens you want to be ready" well it has already happened and you're not ready.

chriswizz

5 Year Member
im must admit i am uprepared, i had 2 males up to a couple of weeks ago, then i had an offer through a forum with some one who had 2 females, would i like to have a swap, so to cut a long story short we did, thinking my tegus were under 2 & neither has been hybernated non of these shananigans would of happened, but they did, i was looking at the long term ie next spring, so ive got to get my scates on now & read read read, just incase she lays.

got10

if she does lay this is what to expect. she will change in her attitude to a bit standoffish to down right aggressive.
She will start to swell around the belly area . keep temps the same . In most reptiles it is size to age .64-70 days for eggs . times about same for incubation. Straw for nesting material. And the incubation temps around 84

chriswizz

5 Year Member
Airy
got10 said:
if she does lay this is what to expect. she will change in her attitude to a bit standoffish to down right aggressive.
She will start to swell around the belly area . keep temps the same . In most reptiles it is size to age .64-70 days for eggs . times about same for incubation. Straw for nesting material. And the incubation temps around 84
[/q
Thanks GOT10, Its always scairy treading on New ground, but gonna have to learn fast, will she need anymore calcium & vitamins in her diet than normal.

got10

I would increase the number of smaller meals as opposed to large feeding. And you can give chicken necks if you feel there is a need for the calcium increase.
i actually don't use supplements too often i feed tons of veggies meat fish eggs bugs and whatever else they want as often as they want . Although I have only hatched very clutches( I learned on my own too) I have had Gu's for years And only one clutch was intentional

naturboy87

1... she will only mate if she is sexuly reddy ..
2... masive appitite eating 2 to 3 times moor than usual ...
3...about a munth after mating and eating good
4...she will let u know but my girls like being quite hot for nest bilding ...
5...yes she will start bo bild quite the nest even weaving parts of it toghther . i used sherdded nuws papper ,straw , and eaco earth ground cocunut shells for moustar .
6... Time the good eggs will plump up and hold shape and the bad ones well start to shrink up and get mold on top of them or on the under side .
7 ... the prime temp for tegu eggs is 88 f 86 making females and 90 making males . incubation times go frum around 60 to 120 days but around 80 days frum wut i hear ...

8. she will mess your male up if he cant get away frum her after she is dun with him ...
Im no expert just frum my persanal experences

chriswizz

5 Year Member
naturboy87 said:
1... she will only mate if she is sexuly reddy ..
2... masive appitite eating 2 to 3 times moor than usual ...
3...about a munth after mating and eating good
4...she will let u know but my girls like being quite hot for nest bilding ...
5...yes she will start bo bild quite the nest even weaving parts of it toghther . i used sherdded nuws papper ,straw , and eaco earth ground cocunut shells for moustar .
6... Time the good eggs will plump up and hold shape and the bad ones well start to shrink up and get mold on top of them or on the under side .
7 ... the prime temp for tegu eggs is 88 f 86 making females and 90 making males . incubation times go frum around 60 to 120 days but around 80 days frum wut i hear ...

8. she will mess your male up if he cant get away frum her after she is dun with him ...
Im no expert just frum my persanal experences
all the mating seemes to of stopped now, there acting normal again although there both off there food, they are eating but only half there usual amount, there sharing the same bed, no squabbling, if she becomes gravid then i may have to remove my male for a while.
thanks for all the advice. she is sleeping alot though, probably only up for around 3hrs a day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029