• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Blue Genetics

bfb345

Hey i was wondering from a breeders standpoint if the blue tegus are considered a separate subspecies from Tupinambis marinae or if they are still considered the same thing. Also are they found in the wild in their own range like the others, Thanks

bfb345

Anyone want to help I know a lot of you breed blues and a lot are knowledgeable enough to just answer this.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
There are no recognized subspecies period. They are a variant of Salvator merianae. They are found in the wild, but the traits are not necessarily restricted to a particular locale.

bfb345

Locality is what I meant sorry but thanks are they found in the same area as the T. marinae or elsewhere

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Not exactly, Deac77. There has been a name change because there has been the proposition to separate the northern and southern clades into their own genuses, giving us Tupinambis and Salvator, respectively. While the officially recognized name is Salvator merianae, Tupinambis merianae is recognized as a synonym (in taxonomic parlance, basically a past name used for the same species - it is helpful to remember this when reading older literature). Unfortunately marinae is a misspelled epithet that appears rather popular among some laypeople, I think because they can familiarize with "marine" whereas "merianae" is meaningless to them. However, not only is it a misspelling, but as taxonomy is becoming more adamant in nomenclature regulations, I don't think it matches the genus epithet in the sense of gender. Beings as the scientific nomenclature is supposed to be based on Latin, many words have a masculine and/or feminine tense, and where one of the modern taxonomic battles is in ensuring that the very first name ever used to describe a species is what is now recognized for the official scientific name, a new modern fight is to ensure that the genus and species epithets are both of the same gender (there have been a fair number of name changes adopted lately to accommodate this). So the misspelling (incorrect as it is) should be Tupinambis marinus. Of course, this is just further is nonsensical in calling this the "marine tegu".

Deac77

5 Year Member
Very neat I want aware we were misspelling it, often when on my phone I have difficulties with names it becomes quite annoying when dealing with tarantulas, since very few keepers use common names

bfb345

Thanks road kill I'm doing a bunch of research stuff for some future plans and any help I can get is awesome!

Roadkill

5 Year Member
A) what people refer to as "Argentines" are now of the Genus Salvator.
B) it was never "marinae", it is "merianae"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont