• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Black Throat throwing up

Dana C

This morning I woke up and saw that my Black Throat, Kinabo had thrown up most of what he ate yesterday. I have left him along but offered a small mouse which he ate this afternoon but threw up later. I is obviously not feeling well.
I have ramped up the cool end of his enclosure to 110 and the basking area is a constant 135 as it always is. He drinks water but is lethargic. I think I found an exotic's vet which I am going to call tomorrow. I don't know if "exotics" includes reptiles though.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
The cool end of his enclosure should be about 80 degrees, nowhere near 110. Take that down ASAP before he gets heat stroke. They need a WIDE temperature gradient. If they can get at 135 basking spot why would he need 110 cool end. In the wild, they utilize a very wide range of temps. Take the cool end to 80 or he's at serious risk of dying...

Also, how large is his cage because if the cool end of his enclosure is that hot then you need a larger cage or less heat bulbs. In an 8 by 4 by 4(absolute minimum for an adult blackthroat) the temps will be equally spread out throughout the cage if properly set up. Even though yours isn't that large yet, it should still be 6X3X3 in which case you'd have to have multiple heat lamps on the hot and cool end...

Dana C

TegusRawsome80 said:
The cool end of his enclosure should be about 80 degrees, nowhere near 110. Take that down ASAP before he gets heat stroke. They need a WIDE temperature gradient. If they can get at 135 basking spot why would he need 110 cool end. In the wild, they utilize a very wide range of temps. Take the cool end to 80 or he's at serious risk of dying...

Also, how large is his cage because if the cool end of his enclosure is that hot then you need a larger cage or less heat bulbs. In an 8 by 4 by 4(absolute minimum for an adult blackthroat) the temps will be equally spread out throughout the cage if properly set up. Even though yours isn't that large yet, it should still be 6X3X3 in which case you'd have to have multiple heat lamps on the hot and cool end...

I raised the temp on purpose temporarily to see if it altered his activity level and in the last few minutes have reduced it to 80. My enclosure is 8x3x2 with 4 lamps, two of which are heat lamps and two are UVA / UVB mercury vapor lights.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Okay are the two heat lamps on one end or two? I would keep it at 80, I honestly don't think that it is a low cool end. Maybe ramp up the high end a bit though to 140. That's a good sized enclosure, but the cool end absolutely must stay at about 80 in my opinion. If he needed to be hotter he'd know what to do. Have you changed anything at all? Does he have enough substrate to burrow? If there isn't a lot of substrate it may not be able to burrow and may be stressing? Do you have a lot of hides in there? Give him a couple days off of eating to calm down and then try again unless you want to take to vet right away. Oh, and don't handle him for a while as it may or may not add to stress and it really isn't worth the chance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029