• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Black poop

Johnners

5 Year Member
Hi,

Over the last week my B&W, Hector, has been eating fine and behaving normal but his poo has been coming out black and very firm. He isn't struggling to poo and its black no matter what I feed him.

He's coming up 3 foot now and I mainly feed him mice, mince beef, mince turkey, hard boiled egg and some fruit changing each day or mixed up for variety. All are supplemented with calcium dust.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpeg

Justsomedude

I think that's pretty normal mine does the same thing however make sure you see the white in his poop as well to make sure he is getting enough fluids.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think that's pretty normal mine does the same thing however make sure you see the white in his poop as well to make sure he is getting enough fluids.
Sounds right. Stress, new food, can change stool some. You'll create your own normal, but black and white uric acid is good.

Johnners

5 Year Member
Yeah there's always the 'white plug' before and sometimes just the white when he pees I think. I'm paranoid about impaction so I bath him before I feed him every night to make sure he has a 'clear out'. I've only owned bearded dragons before and it was similar with them.

In the last few weeks he's not been coming out for a day at all once or twice week. Is this normal? He's eating like there's no tomorrow and I measure him weekly and he averages 1-2 inches.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He's settling into his new routine, which will change seasonally and as he ages. No sweat on that. Eating, pooping, growing = Good combo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont