• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Best kind of monitor lizard as pet?

skylarlaham

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I wanted to know what the best kind of monitor would be. Around tegu size or larger. And by best I mean, nicest, and easiest handled.
Thanks, Skylar.

AWD247

5 Year Member
Ive owned Savannahs/ blackthroats/ Water Monitors etc for years and just deal with my Tegu now but I will say, not knowing your expierence I would say your better off getting a tegu if its your 1st tegu/monitor.

Tegus adjust so much better im my expierence/opinion,. You almost get an affection and learning in return to the time you put into a tegu, as opposed to a monitor tolerating your presence and handling., not to say you cant have a super tame monitor.. cause all mine turned out very well behaved, but took waaay more time and effort.

If a monitor is definately what your interested in and have the knowlegde to house one correctly maybe a savannah would be a nice inexpensive way to start.

skylarlaham

5 Year Member
AWD247 said:
Ive owned Savannahs/ blackthroats/ Water Monitors etc for years and just deal with my Tegu now but I will say, not knowing your expierence I would say your better off getting a tegu if its your 1st tegu/monitor.

Tegus adjust so much better im my expierence/opinion,. You almost get an affection and learning in return to the time you put into a tegu, as opposed to a monitor tolerating your presence and handling., not to say you cant have a super tame monitor.. cause all mine turned out very well behaved, but took waaay more time and effort.

If a monitor is definately what your interested in and have the knowlegde to house one correctly maybe a savannah would be a nice inexpensive way to start.
I already have a tegu... I was thinking about getting a white or black throat monitor or a water monitor... but im not for sure gonna get a monitor.ive just been throwing the idea around in my head. thats why i wanted to know from you guys which monitor is the best pet.

Terry

5 Year Member
Sav and an inexspenive starter. Are you crazy. Start with ackie's. Jumping the gun to some of the most powerful lizards and biggest is a mistake waiting to happen. No monitor should be handled. My ackie took its first cricket from my tongs after working with it for 10 months.

skylarlaham

5 Year Member
Terry said:
Sav and an inexspenive starter. Are you crazy. Start with ackie's. Jumping the gun to some of the most powerful lizards and biggest is a mistake waiting to happen. No monitor should be handled. My ackie took its first cricket from my tongs after working with it for 10 months.
Well I never hand feed or use tongs, in my opinion its stupid. I use food bins. But besides that, I understand what your saying.
How big do ackies get, and how much do they run by?

AWD247

5 Year Member
Terry said:

Actually no im not crazy.. im just stating my opinion from what ive owned and raised for over the last 2 decades with no problems what so ever, all taken care of properly with very lil out of pocket to accomplish, thats why I said they we're inexpensive. With any monitor from Sav's to Ackies etc. Size should be considered/ researched by the purchaser, since your looking to house an animal correctly this would already (or should already) be taken into consideration, not limited just cause an animal gets large. " Mistake waiting to happen/ no Monitor should be handled"?? Why- Thats like saying no one should handle an Extreme giant, which im sure is ALOT more powerful and dangerous than a Sav.
I think an Tegu's and Monitors are products of what you put into them,..
Having proper education on whatever monitor big or small, learning its behavior, knowing proper techniques, dedication, goes a long way, what worked for you by 10 months was fine and set by your pace, I have an Extreme that ate out of my hands as a hatchling and still does to this day as @ 25" and is constant work for both of us, Monitors can definately be handled some more than others.

skippy

5 Year Member
who says no monitor should be handled? if you have a 7 foot V salvator that has never been handled that(god forbid) should injure itself you want it should be almost wild? that seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

i had a blackthroat that i hand fed from the day i got him at 2 & 1/2 feet til the day my !&@$# housemates rehomed him without telling me and he was a sweet as a puppy. liked to sit in my lap while i watched tv.

my arg B&W is hand fed as well and while not nearly as laid back as the BT i can't imagine trying to get him to do something he didn't want to do if he were never handled.

besides, savs are pretty small and manageable compared to an adult male red or B&W...

AWD247

5 Year Member
Meaning some will take alot more work than others for handling, for example: Niles, Croc Monitors, etc. Can they be handled.. Yes of course, but they seem to take alot more work than lets say the Savs & Ackies mentioned aboved

AWD247

5 Year Member
skippy said:
who says no monitor should be handled? if you have a 7 foot V salvator that has never been handled that(god forbid) should injure itself you want it should be almost wild? that seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

i had a blackthroat that i hand fed from the day i got him at 2 & 1/2 feet til the day my !&@$# housemates rehomed him without telling me and he was a sweet as a puppy. liked to sit in my lap while i watched tv.

my arg B&W is hand fed as well and while not nearly as laid back as the BT i can't imagine trying to get him to do something he didn't want to do if he were never handled.

besides, savs are pretty small and manageable compared to an adult male red or B&W...

Not sure what you meant in the portion I highligthed in red, but im hoping no one will want to handle a 7 ft wild or any wild monitor.. :grno :crazy
I hope no one confuses what im saying, im talkin about raising from hatchling/ young. :mrgreen:

skippy

5 Year Member
i meant that if you have a monitor of that size, you want it to be manageable so that if it hurts itself or what ever, it won't injure itself further when you attempt treatment.

i would do my best to handle any animal that came my way for just this reason(excepting inverts and hot snakes of course ;) )

BOOZER

5 Year Member
first off, savi's vs ackies..... to purchase, ackies are prob 5x the cost! so a savanna would be the least expensive. i have 1 and she is alright. all she has done since being 26" long is head butt my hand ( lil b!tch) other than that she is fine. ackies tame down very well and are no where the size of a full grown sav! even at adult size.

hope that helps. :cheers

Terry

5 Year Member
I never said whats in that quote. NO monitor should be handled. Your only interations with monitors should be cleaning, changing water and tong feeding. Food bins are stupid for monitors. Tong feeding is a way to build trust with a monitor. No monitor is a pet, there captives. You want a pet get a dog or a cat. If you want you can come to my house and pick out a itten as we have 4 for free.

skippy

5 Year Member
if you're keeping an animal that rivals you in size it only makes sense(to me at least) to build a rapport with said animal so that when you need to take it to the vet or clean a wound or whatever there will not be an altercation. the same applies to smaller varanids as larger, sometimes you need to examine them and for that it is better if they are accustomed to handling.

skylarlaham

5 Year Member
So a savannah would be nicer and calmer than say a white throat or water monitor or so on, assuming that there both rased from babies?

Reflektr

5 Year Member
Savs are either hit or miss. Since the majority of savs are only captive-hatched, your chances of getting a really healthy one right off the bat are fairly slim - Which in the long run could cost more than purchasing a different, higher priced species from a reputable breeder.

Ackies are cool, and you get all the monitor excitement in a nice, neat, colorful little package. They are also among the easiest to breed. As far as temperament goes, they can be pretty flighty, but I'm sure it also depends on how much you work with them. White throats are very similar to a sav, but not identical. They can have a nastier temperament than a sav, but their husbandry is almost identical. Ionides, or the blackthroat monitor, is a better one in my opinion if you're looking for an intelligent larger monitor that can become fairly docile. Dumeril's are another medium-sized monitor that can also grow to be docile. They're pretty intelligent, great swimmers, and enjoy spending time in the water.

And as far as "no monitor should be handled"...Get a grip. That's like saying "no reptile should be handled". Some species are better suited to keep, I'll give you that, but as far as never handling them...That's entirely up to the keeper and the animal. They all have minds of their own along with their own personalities. If a monitor grows up in an environment where it is given plenty of positive attention and positive reinforcement, and decides that's what it likes, then so be it. If it decides it doesn't like that, then so be it.

What if you never handled your pet a day in its life, then had to take it to the vet one day? That would make for a very stressful encounter for both you, the vet, and your pet. You get out of them what you put into them. If you don't give them any time or attention and treat it as a captive, that's all it will ever know and that's all it will ever be. Treat it like a pet and a member of the family, and you may end up with a better bond than you ever thought possible.

Terry

5 Year Member
That's entirely up to the keeper and the animal.

It should be up to the animal, not the person. If the lizard climb's up your arm or somthing that different. But grabbing him out of his surroundings, is dumb. No monitor's should never be handled. There not cat's or dog's. There a lizard. What ever you choose, just make sure you do lots of research. Don't listen to kaffir2 either.

Read these
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://repticzone.com/caresheets/551.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://repticzone.com/caresheets/551.html</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://repticzone.com/caresheets/2221.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://repticzone.com/caresheets/2221.html</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://repticzone.com/caresheets/642.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://repticzone.com/caresheets/642.html</a><!-- m -->

kpelzer

5 Year Member
savs would be a great starter jus make sure they are c.b. if you put in the time a lizard can make a great pet. its tameness and willing to be handled will all depend on the time youre willing to put in. good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029