• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

bearded dragon choice's?

ilovelizards

Ok im asking here because the bearded dragon forum is so anti sand.I just wanted eveyones opinion on useing sand(or other partical substance) for bearded dragons?

Ive used sand for my last 2 bearded dragons one died of bad diet&the other I sold but both had no ill effects on the sand.I current use sand for my leopard gecko's.I had a leopard gecko that died of old age at 16-17year's old who had lived on eveything from sand to,aspan,eco earth,potting soil,carpet..ect&she "traveled" around from desert,savanna,grassy plain,forest ect.large water bowl small water bowl.The only real giud lines I fallow on leo's&bearded dragons is the heat requirement,uvb&uva&for bearded dragons I never use the massive water bowls&no potting soil like substances(if I ever use any it will never be the intire cage).always screen tops&glass aquariums with proper basking spots hight range's.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used play sand for my adult beardies, never had problems. Sold them 2 years ago, each was about 5 years old. They're still alive and living on play sand last I heard.

AP27

I use sand for one of my beardies, and reptile carpet for the other. The only reason he's on carpet is because he kicks the sand into everything and makes a mess, but other than that I've never had any problems with it.

ilovelizards

AP27 said:
I use sand for one of my beardies, and reptile carpet for the other. The only reason he's on carpet is because he kicks the sand into everything and makes a mess, but other than that I've never had any problems with it.

what kind of sand do you use? play sand calci sand ect
Im was just wonder what people on here had to say about the topic. Ive never had a problem with sand&with my newest bearded dragons ive used tile(just as something new to me so I figured I would give it a try)&they hate it.I think im going 2 swich to play or vita sand.I noticed the white vita sand stays soft unlike the colored reptile sand that tends to be or get jagged edges.

ilovelizards

naturboy87 said:
mine are on sand and they live on sand in the wiled ...

the bearded dragon forum is comvenced they live on rocks&hard packed clay.....I think they travel around to all sorts of diffrent envorments&incounter alot of diffrent conditions just like any lizard.aussie vids showing wild dragons show them in foresty place..

AP27

ilovelizards said:
AP27 said:

what kind of sand do you use? play sand calci sand ect
Im was just wonder what people on here had to say about the topic. Ive never had a problem with sand&with my newest bearded dragons ive used tile(just as something new to me so I figured I would give it a try)&they hate it.I think im going 2 swich to play or vita sand.I noticed the white vita sand stays soft unlike the colored reptile sand that tends to be or get jagged edges.
I use a sand called desert blend from my local pet store. I've also used play sand as well. The only reason I switched to the desert blend is because it has crushed walnut shell in it and that seems to quell the poop smell better lol. Makes the 30 seconds of my life when i have to clean the poops out easier.

well i heard that one guy dumped the sand to fast in his cage for his beardies cage and the dust of the sand got in his eyes and he had to get the sand removed in surgery

AP27

Got the sand in the beardie's eyes? I would think the beadred dragon should have not been in the cage when the sand was dumped in. That's not a fault of the sand, just a careless owner in my opinion.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
@AP27 I wouldn't recommend the desert blend based off of the fact that it has that crushed walnut shell in it. Sure, it makes it smell better if they poo, but it can be very life threatening to your beardies if a good deal is ingested.

Play sand is definitely your best bet if you're looking to use some sort of sand, otherwise, stick with tile.

AP27

@Tegubuzz, Thanks for the advice. I was worried about ingestion with any kind of sand in the beginning. One of my beardies used to lick the regular play sand. (which i thought weird because he never does this outside on the sand in my front yard) but he never tried to eat the desert blend. As for Tigger (the one currently kept on desert blend) his food dish is within another dish to prevent him getting sand in it. It works well. Regardless, I'll probably just switch him to regular play sand next time I replace the substrate. i'll trust your advice, and plus its cheaper too lol

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AP27 said:
@Tegubuzz, Thanks for the advice. I was worried about ingestion with any kind of sand in the beginning. One of my beardies used to lick the regular play sand. (which i thought weird because he never does this outside on the sand in my front yard) but he never tried to eat the desert blend. As for Tigger (the one currently kept on desert blend) his food dish is within another dish to prevent him getting sand in it. It works well. Regardless, I'll probably just switch him to regular play sand next time I replace the substrate. i'll trust your advice, and plus its cheaper too lol

Understandable, I used play sand for the longest time and experienced no problems. I wouldn't suggest it for smaller beardies though.

Compnerd7

I have always used washed play sand. I also go out to the desert and get gnarly desert sand, wash it, then bake it at 400 for an hour or so and mix it in for a more natural look.

A lot of people will tell you not to use sand for inpaction reasons... I've used it for 10 years with out any problems, just not with my hatch lings. Washed play sand is the best, i still bake it out of the bag though.

Vermundor

I use paper towel. When I try to scope out any droppings, there's always debri left behind. My beardie also got sand in his mouth one time when he ran for a cricket. Not fun.

For me, paper towel is easier and safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont