• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baths?

angelrose

5 Year Member
thank you shiftylarry and AB^. I agree with both of you that tegus do not need baths unless bad toe shed or something like that.

and it's like you said AB^ I have just been reading it from forum to forum and I wanted to get to the bottom line.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I will say this, tegus do swim in the wild, and do hunt in and around the water, they also have no problem crossing rivers. Another close relitive to the tegu is the caiman lizard (Dracaena guianensi), they do not have flat tails and do and spends a large portion on its day in the water while feeding mainly on aquatic snails.

angelrose

5 Year Member
I see that tegus can swim, I watched my own.

so just say if I placed fish in the water would they go for them ?

AB^

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
I will say this, tegus do swim in the wild, and do hunt in and around the water, they also have no problem crossing rivers. Another close relitive to the tegu is the caiman lizard (Dracaena guianensi), they do not have flat tails and do and spends a large portion on its day in the water while feeding mainly on aquatic snails.

Actually, Caimen lizards tails are built quite similarly to crocodilians being round toward the base and eventually flattening out a bit (maybe a bit more girthy than semi aquatic varanids, but the point is still the same)

Caimen Lizard Tail

Dracena1.jpg

and a crocodilian

50337293.JPG

This isnt to say tegus are not capable swimmers, but merely to point out they are not semi aquatic animals and to show tegus do not need baths, it's the owners that like to give baths. It is not a needed part of husbandry.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
You could similarly say that horses are related to hippos. Can a horse cross a river? Yes, but they're not semi-aquatic animals.

kingbenny

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I've had my red 2 months now and never bathed him, he sheds fine but I would like to try him in the bath to see if he enjoys it. He has the tips of several toes missing from beofre I got him so he has had shedding issues in the past and I thought this might help if I get a problem in the future.

My main concern is the water being too hot or cold, what sort of temp should I be aiming for?

Mike

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Luke warm and slightly warmer. If it feels hot to the touch then chances are its to warm. I've also heard put the lizard in tail first, if the tail jerks out or it moves it out then you need to adjust the temperature.

Also the water shouldn't be higher then shoulder height. One last thing, always keep a close eye on the tegu to prevent any accidental drowning.

Spencer

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
About 85-90 degrees should be fine. I do like to bathe my tegus for cleanliness reasons. If I'm taking them out in public or to roam inside my house, I can stick them in the tub and they poo in about 5 min. Then I wash them off and they are good to go. I also have one that gets stinky food and mulch gunk in the corners of her mouth. I take the bath opportunity to clean that out...talk about stinky...whew! It's got to be unsanitary, too.

But I have to agree, it's for me, not the tegus. They are used to it and don't mind. They just sit there and kind spread out and "bask". They don't stress, but they don't exactly swim either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff