• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby tegu not really growing?

SamBobCat

Kendrick, he's almost 16 inches long now. It's been a month since the last post on here, but he hasn't taken to the tegu bites. He's really picky for some reason, but he really does enjoy his mice and fruits. He's now in his 4×4 cage, and I rarely ever see him. He's gotten out before through an air vent, so that was covered, but is there anything else that I can do to keep him growing? I feed him when he's up, should I be waking him up to try to feed him every day?

If your in a cold climate it may be him trying to hibernate if so it's best to leave a bowl of food in so when he wakes through out the day he can eat but from my understanding he may not eat during this period. . Feed him his favorites when he's willing to eat though

SamBobCat

Yeah haha it is. It's a little hard to get up on, but we just added some gas shocks so it's way easier to open. I'll have to get some pictures up soon of the inside

Rebecca Stout

Halibut huh? I want to add fish to minds diet. I tried smelts. Man did she turn her nose up at that one. I can't afford constant salmon. I have yet to try anything else. I wonder, other than salmon and smelts, what fish is most popular with these guys.

SamBobCat

Rebecca since the last post django has since hit about 21 inches long. He's downing about 6 hopper mice per feeding and my dad and I just updated his cage. How's your gu doing?

Rebecca Stout

I think at Django's size mine would've only eaten 4 hopper mice. Lol. Maybe 5. So wow. See, I never have fed a full whole prey meal. I combine a large mouse now with other foods on the plate. Or I give her one in between meal days. I'd say her combined meal is just under the size of half a softball. So hard to judge. and she has days she eats less. She tends to eat only once every two days. I haven't measured her but at the supposed age of 20 months old she is barely over 3 foot. I was so hoping for much larger. Her head is a bit small. I know, female heads are smallish. I'm like you though, I work hard to stuff the begeezus out of her lololol. She has filled out in the last months though ... which is really nice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu