• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby Tegu Feeding

Bouford34

Hi ive had my new tegu for 5 days and he is 10 inches long. The only problem so far is feeding him. He ate for the first time yesterday and he ate raw egg and drank a lot of it. Today he refused to eat any crickets or gizzards so but i mixed calcium and vitamins with more raw egg for him to eat. Im going to try hard boiled eggs tomorrow but i know eggs are not supposed to be used as a staple diet so if anyone has any tips on how to get him to eat that would be great!

misterpc23

5 Year Member
Possibly grind up the meat to add to the raw egg? Im a newer tegu owner so dont take everything i say at face value but ive been doing a lot of reading and it looks like the best/easiet option to feed you tegu is whole prey item such as a pinkie mouse or gold fish (i only say gold fish because mine loved them, i have since switched him off of that as a primary food source due to not being able to receive healthy feeder fish consistently, dont want to have an unhealthy tegu because you fed him unhealthy food!) just yesterday i picked up 4 fuzzies/hoppers. Not sure which, forgot to ask they store keeper which one he ended up grabbing from the back for me. Also does he/she eat the egg shell after its done drinking up the raw egg? Mine loves it and its a great source of calcium for them

misterpc23

5 Year Member
Also had your tegu pooped yet? When i feed mine he eats until he doesnt have a single wrinkle and his belly is drum tight. So until he poops the next day after he digests the food he cant really fit anymore in. I try to not feed mine until 11am-noon, by then hes woken up, soaked up some heat and either already pooped or is ready to take one. Another thing i like to do is feed him little bits throughout the day if im around. I almost always feed out of his cage but im going to start tong feeding today, i like the idea of hand feeding but not the idea of my fingers being bit off, this will be a happy medium lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff