• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby B/W Nipping

rmzsuzuki89

Recently, the hatchling B/W that I got from the Roy x Magnolia clutch has been nipping at my thumbs or fingers. It doesn't seem to be aggressive, just a little nip. My thoughts are that I didn't wash my hands good enough after handling his food (the only time it happens is after handling different kinds of meats, be it his food or mine). I'm thinking that I probably just need to wash my hands a little better after handling food and before handling him/her. Any insight would be helpful though.

Nessie

Yeah they have a crazy sense of smell so if you notice him start to flick like crazy at your hand he probably picked up on somthing that you had handled. I notice that he comes at me pretty fast if I get lazy and wash too fast. If he isn't huffing or standing tall on all fours or charging then I would just pay more attention to washing up, including under the finger nails where food could get stuck.

eddyjack

Nessie, I have been reading your threads and I must say, you seem to be very well educated on these animals. I have been very impressed with the advice that you have given. I am wondering just why they "Huff"? Is this some kind of warning that they send? I thought at first mine may have a cough or simething but it did seem to be associated with standing as you mentioned. Mine did lung or perhaps charge at me just twice but I still believe that she was just hungry. It was shortly after I got her and she had not been taken care of properly and I had been giving her free choice food and believe me she was taking full advantage of that.
Anyway thank you for all of your great advice!

Nessie

Wow thanks for the compliments! I am always nervous when giving advice as I am still new to owning Tegus but I did research for about 6-9 months before I got one. I know there are much more knowledgeable people on this forum but when I am pretty confident then I love to share my thoughts.

As for the huffing, it is one of their first methods to scare you off and it is usually associated with puffing up to make themselves look bigger. My guy used to start with huffing, then standing tall, then charging, then the leap. No that is the way my guy goes about it, I am sure some won't give so many warnings as this. My guy will still huff but knows that if I plan to get him out then I'll stick to it so he doesn't even get up on all fours anymore.

Now when I say huffing it is like a very heavy breathing, if your gu is making more like sneezing or raspy breathing sounds I would be a little worried about a respiratory infection so watch that there is no drooling that goes along with it.

G

I noticed my baby huffing too. Yesterday I took him out of his enclosure for feeding and stuck him in a lunch box, he seemed fine. He ate a few crickets then later on (when he was hiding) I put a little dish of eggs on his rock, he inhaled them.

This morning I took him out, put him in his lunch box and he started huffing whenever my hand went near, he didn't lunge or nip or anything just huffing. I'd move and he'd huff, I'd hold still for a few and he'd stop but then as soon as I moved again huffing resumed.

I know he's still getting used to me, I just got him Sunday. I don't want to create any more stress than necessary, but he needs to eat! Would it be better to do a few more feeds in his enclosure? I don't want to do the crickets in his enclosure, its huge compared to him and who knows where the crickets would end up..

Nessie

Huffing is a normal reaction for a Tegu, especially if you are watching him eat, thats his way of saying.."if you touch my food your a dead man!" Give him some time with the bin eating, its a bit to get used to if they are not used to it.
I would highly recommend that you never feed live crickets in the enclosure, way too easy to eat a mouth full of mulch. Huffing isn't necessarily due to stress its more to make it look threatening. My guy still does it but it doesn't go any further then that. If you can get him out of his tank for feedings then you are well on your way. Leave him alone while he eats as some can be shy eaters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me