• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Are Carpet Pythons....

La-Price

Does anyone know if carpet pythons are 'vocal'?
I work for Cold Blooded Encounters and we have a carpet, he\she isnt aggressive but she does puff or blow out air frequently when being handled. I'm not sure if it means he\shes uncomfortable or if she just like making noise.

turtlepunk

It could be a sign of an upper respiratory infection. but it might not be. My carpet does the same thing. He does it when hes tightly constricted around around my arm. Im thinking its their way of breathing while being so tensed up??
i know mine doesnt breathe like that all the time. just keep listening to it. If u hear any popping or whistling noises its probably a URI.
Or maybe it could also be dried nostrils? i do know carpets like humidity.

TheTeguGurl

yes i agree with turtlepunk.. could be a URI or could be that the humidity is too low for them and there nasal is too dry. I had a friend that had a nice size carpet and every time i held it he woould breath out really loud. turns out this poor snake humidity was too low!

La-Price

huh, he keeps the room its in at about 80 from what i can tell (i get sweaty and gross within minutes) and its sharing a tent (yes a tent) with a boa constrictor. he also has a big tub of water in there and i find them both frequently laying in it with their noses up. it seems active and healthy, but i was wondering what the loud exhaling\breathing every now and then was
the boa does not do this unless you pick her up funny, or if theres pressure on her lungs

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
RI's are not just cause by low humidity though, other things that can lead to them are , too high humidity with a bad air flow, incorrect temps that are too low and stress(being housed with another snakes, enclosure size,constant handling) Low temps and stress can cause the immune system to go down and during that time a RI could arise. Those are all things to look into, check around the nostril area for mucus, also on the enclosure walls either high up or low to the ground to check for any thing that appears to be dried mucus. Another way to check is to look inside the mouth, and check for bubbles, and not just ordinary bubbles, ones that appear to seem really thick,and a lot of them.

But i never really owned a Carpet python i only watched one for a week. So for all i know that could just be the way they breathe. Just keep a eye on him and check for sypmtoms... Or you could just take him to a vet to be 100% sure. Because i'm not expert i am just sharing some of the stuff i read.........

La-Price

it sounds possible now that you mention air flow, the tent has little flaps for air flow but i dont think it does them much good. he doesnt use it much for shows, because he doesnt know why it makes that noise. it isnt all the time, and it doesnt do it inside the snake bag that it gets put in for shows. i'll mention it to him about a possible RI

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How big is the python? I knew of a coastal carpet python that was pretty big and was just a loud breather when being handled.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu