• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

alligator snaping turtle

dorton

5 Year Member
My friend has a couple, and I used to have some. We are going to order a few more in the next couple of weeks.
I really enjoyed mine.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've seen plenty. One of my favorite turtles. I've never owned one though.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had a baby one, and then he drowed... it was a really sad day becuase everyone said that my turtle commited suicide, lol.

Epona142

5 Year Member
I've owned several, the most recent being Mr Choppers, who escaped from his pond. They're quite good climbers!

kingbenny

5 Year Member
Old post I know but I wanted to say I love my Alligator Snapper. I got him about 2 years ago, they seem pretty hard to get in the UK. I won't lie, he is incredibly hard to handle and will destroy amything put into his tank but he is great to look at. I'm slowing traing him to come out of the water to feed. It saves alot of mess and he's adapted to it pretty well!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
kingbenny said:
Old post I know but I wanted to say I love my Alligator Snapper. I got him about 2 years ago, they seem pretty hard to get in the UK. I won't lie, he is incredibly hard to handle and will destroy amything put into his tank but he is great to look at. I'm slowing traing him to come out of the water to feed. It saves alot of mess and he's adapted to it pretty well!
Where's the pics??!! :mrgreen:

kingbenny

5 Year Member
Sid in his Setup.

355.jpg

Sid being handled. This does not happen very often as he has grown quite alot since these photos were taken!

109.jpg

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alligator snapping turtles are awesome! I kept one for a few months when I was a kid before releasing it. They're 100% aquatic(only nesting females come on land), or so I read somewhere. VERY fun to watch them eat but really don't appreciate the handling part as you'll learn from their gaping "I dare you" pose.

kingbenny

5 Year Member
He was hoping you'd do that :)

He really is the most aggresive pet i've ever owned. He'll try and bite you through the glass of the tank and will chase you along the length of the tank when he is in a bad mood. They say Alligator Snappers are more docile than Common Snappers, if thats the case I'm not too keen on buying a common just yet!

I think his aggresive nature is whats helped me teach him to feed out of the water, most snappers wont come out of the water to feed but he is quite happy to chase things out of the water and so now is happy to climb up out of the water to taken pre killed mice. He even takes the odd Large locust that I throw in and I'm sure they are not worth his time to chase, he just like doing it!

Markie

5 Year Member
I absolutely love alligator snappers! I've worked with one before and I would love to have one as a display pet. I don't think they are legal to own in Texas though without a permit. Darn. Perhaps one day..

kingbenny

5 Year Member
I'm in the process of applying for a DWA license in the Uk at the moment so that I can get a Dwarf Caiman. I find it strange that I can keep a Alligator Snapper without any kind of permit but i have to pay Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?£1200 a year to the council just to own a Caiman, both these animals can give a hefty bite!

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
since we're on the topic, anyone ever have a baby common snapper?

mine had impersonated a rock for his first 3-4 months, sitting in one spot, only eating mealworms long after they have drowned, and with absolutly no aggression, nor fear twards anything, he'd just sit around. nowadays he's prolly about 2.25 inch shell length and he's starting to run around a lot more, watching me and such. but still when i hold him no aggression at all. he's actually quite sweet. but i believe he's catching the minnows cause he's pooping a lot. and he'll eat mealworms in front of me now.

he craps soo much i just leave him in a barebottom ten gallon. and change his water like every other day. sometimes two. so what i wanna know is am i caring for him poorly? does he need a basking spot? cause i started him in a 20L tank, half land half water with a basking spot 50watt halogen. but after a month of him siting in one spot like a lump i moved him into the simple barebottom 10gal tank. now that he's moving around more, maybe he needs to bask? water temps are between 70-75 constant.

so anyone with any knowledge wanna help me out?

s0orry, no pics atm.

kingbenny

5 Year Member
I did reply to your post above but for some reason it didn't work.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong and doubt you are caring for the turtle poorly. My Ally snapper started put with a basking spot but they simply dont use them. Sid will sit on one place for a month without moving and will then be quite active for a a mont or so, mainly at night for some reason. my new set up is from this week is all water, but with a quarter of the tank piled high with rocks and wood so that if he wanted to he could climb out and move on land. So far he has not tried and i dont expect he will, it just makes the tank look alot nicer. The main thing, as you already know, are water changes. My tank now has 3 filters, set up at one end so as to create a running river effect, he seems to like this and makes a more ineresting enviroment for him. With three filters im now changing him once a week, with one I would do it 3-3 times a week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029