• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Advice on Cherry Head...

jor71

5 Year Member
Hey guys and gals, my wife loves turtles and I am planning on buying her one next week as a surprise. I took her to the Reptile store and she seemed very fond of the cherry head red foot tortoises.

Anyone have any advice or opinion on them? If anyone has them as a pet, please post some pics :)

argus333

5 Year Member
im not a big fan of them they need a lot of humidity and big water pans which i find leads to big messes. but a lot of people love them, i find they get respiratory infections easy as well i like leopards and sulcatas better. but to each is own...

burke0000

5 Year Member
Argus I couldnt disagree more. Red foots are with out a doubt the tortoise to get in my opinion. Ya they need some humidity but like all tortoises are tanks and one of the hardiest reptiles. Just put a big shallow water dish in the enclousure and either put a light above or a heat pad under it(if inside) and just mist daily on a substrate that holds moisture. I love all tortoises but redfoots are great because of there size. They also have amazing personalities and respond to me more than any other of my reptiles. Any tortoise is a great one because tortoises kick @$$ but I love redfoots. They also have the most diverse food menu as well

my yearling
DSCN1148.jpg

my about three month old
DSCN1147.jpg

argus333

5 Year Member
ya i suppose u are right, im just not a fan of the big water dish. i might also have to say sometimes beginners have a tough time with these guys. dont get me wrong i still like them just maybe not for everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus