• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Adult Blues

obsessedwithserpents

5 Year Member
wow their beautiful!just a question are blues columbian or argentine because everywhere it says blue tegu not argentine blue tegu or colombian blue tegu

Wil

5 Year Member
Blues at the moment are unclassified. Until the correct research is done everything is really speculation. Here are some of my adults.

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

BOOZER

5 Year Member
just found this on the web. just take the info with a big grain of salt.........Blue Tegu at this time is an undescribed subspecies of tegu, their origin is from the Northern part of South America. Their original bloodline was found in a shipment of tegus originating from Colombia.

Male Blue tegus are capable of growing up to 3 Ã?â??Ã?½ft, female rarely exceed 3 ft and both can weight up to 8 lbs or less. Blue Tegus are generally very docile and are the easiest of all the tegus to care for and maintain in captivity.

Blue Tegus have similar temperature and diet habits to the Colombian Black & White Tegus and mild personalities like the Argentines. Blue tegus do not like cold weather :blblbl

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our Blue's love fruit. Our breeding female is 3.5 feet and about 4 lbs. She can be a b!tch at times.

You can't believe everything you rear in a care sheet. Then again, not all critters are the same, there's always variation.

I'd say they are a variation of the Argentine's.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My blue boy love berries and sweet fruits durning the summer... not so much now but early summer he loves starwbarries rasberries and oh he loves watermelon. He does perfer his meats though and never turns down turkey or a mouse or two. I know blue dont get as big as b&w but i just messured Bosco my male and he is 46" just shy of 4' so not all stay small. I got come pictures but i haven't load them all on the computer here are a few i do have though.

Tegu020.jpg

Just for a size referance im 5'7" and his tail reaches my knees when he sits on my shoulder.

Tegu024.jpg

Tegu018.jpg

Tegu021.jpg

albino013.jpg

heres a picture of the new comer... the grow up so fast though.
Tegu008.jpg

sorry for all the pictures

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Why are you saying your sorry for all the pics.They are great :) .I always thought that the blues are more lke the Argentines because they look more like the Argentines and not the Columbians.This is some info I found.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_tegu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_tegu</a><!-- m -->

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ya from what i've seen with my blue and comparing it with my buddys Arg B&W i'd say that all that really differs between the two are size (his male has got alot more wieght and more length to him) color (hence the name) and they tend not to hibernate... more like burmate where they will stop taking in food but still come out on warmer days. So i treat my blues more like arg than columbians. They seem to have that arg personality too. I have pictures of him outside i took a week ago but i have to find my camera...

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
chelvis said:
ya from what i've seen with my blue and comparing it with my buddys Arg B&W i'd say that all that really differs between the two are size (his male has got alot more wieght and more length to him) color (hence the name) and they tend not to hibernate... more like burmate where they will stop taking in food but still come out on warmer days. So i treat my blues more like arg than columbians. They seem to have that arg personality too.
That sums it up!!

I wish all the crap about them being more like Columbians would go away!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DragonDave i'm right with you they don't look or act like columbians... the best explination i heard as to why the blues came in with a shipment of columbians is they were smuggled into columbia and sold there becuase they do not have strict export laws like Brazil (just saying Brazil because of the wild tegus pictures i've seen the spieces or subspieces i've seen in this area look more like blues). If anything blues could just be a local differeance in the arg b&w... but thats for another topic.

Any more pics of other adult blues?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
chelvis said:
DragonDave i'm right with you they don't look or act like columbians... the best explination i heard as to why the blues came in with a shipment of columbians is they were smuggled into columbia and sold there becuase they do not have strict export laws like Brazil (just saying Brazil because of the wild tegus pictures i've seen the spieces or subspieces i've seen in this area look more like blues). If anything blues could just be a local differeance in the arg b&w... but thats for another topic.
I've heard the same thing. They were smuggled in. I've also heard that no one else has smuggled any more of them in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980