• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

AA vs Extreme?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know the extremes tend to get larger. As babies the extremes look like they are lighter in color, are they staying that way as adults? Some seem to be more b/w looking, others grow up and are really light.
Do the extremes require larger than an 8x4 because of their size? I've read the females tend to be the size of male reg. black and whites, the males definitely larger.

Since the AA's are part extreme, I would ASSume that there is always the possibility for them to be a little larger than the average b/w. Is an 8x4 still suitable for them? I know they haven't been around very long, I don't think any of them are really "full grown" quite yet. I really like the coloring on these guys.

I'm still reading other threads to gather more info. Maybe even answer some of my own questions. Feel free to post any pictures if you have them. Some of the other threads will show an image link but won't show anything when clicked. :-(
I'm really looking for the light colors as adults, which seems to be more of an AA characteristic than an extreme.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i was wondering the same thing.i wold love to get either one of them if i got the money tho.i think since there such a variety of different subspecies they would most likely be unpredictable to say how big they get or what colors stay. but thats just my opinion.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
yeah for sure theyre both gorgeous! theyre newer so theres not a ton of info, i was hoping some owners could give some info. i didnt a ton reading on my own

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
With the AA being a hybrid of 3 different types of tegus(red,blue and giant) all having different ranges in sizes its impossible to say how big it will get exactly, as far as adult colors like any type of tegu from giants to blues they can range from dark to light, from what i have learned from bobby giants usually get lighter as they age, since the AA have only been bred for 2 years(this being the third time) there isnt enough info out there as to what they look like as adults

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
:s Everyday I wish I still had mine,.. there's only one person with 2 tegus from the original clutch that visits the sites regularly,.. Txrepgirl. But her babies hibernated both years so they are still small. There's another guy,.. can't remember the name who comes on every so often but I haven't seen any updates recently on his AA.

Bobby said Extremes tend to darken as they get older and become more of a cream color. Which so far is the only reason I haven't picked one up and why I jumped when the AAs' were born. Extremes as babies have some of the brightest and cleanest white coloring,.. which I love.

You take that with how bright some Blues and Reds are,... :rolleyes: AAs should just get better with time. I know Tricky did,.. I know the others will prove it as well.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is a picture of my 2010 AA. Not quite an adult but gives you an idea of how they color up.

AA.jpg

and another from a different angle, a little older as well

tegu.jpg

crox

5 Year Member
Bubblz Calhoun said:
:s Everyday I wish I still had mine,.. there's only one person with 2 tegus from the original clutch that visits the sites regularly,.. Txrepgirl. But her babies hibernated both years so they are still small. There's another guy,.. can't remember the name who comes on every so often but I haven't seen any updates recently on his AA.

Bobby said Extremes tend to darken as they get older and become more of a cream color. Which so far is the only reason I haven't picked one up and why I jumped when the AAs' were born. Extremes as babies have some of the brightest and cleanest white coloring,.. which I love.

You take that with how bright some Blues and Reds are,... :rolleyes: AAs should just get better with time. I know Tricky did,.. I know the others will prove it as well.

Bubblz, I think im the other guy your referring too. My AA Spike is doing great, but she hibernated too both years and is still pretty small.

Attachments

• DSCN0967.JPG
    DSCN0967.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0966.JPG
    DSCN0966.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awww both of the tegus you guys posted are cute. I'm really really really liking them the more I check them out. I've been a fan of the reds and the lighter colored tegus. My boyfriend loves the reds. An AA just seems like a wonderful mix of everything. Are there any differences in personality? I know it varies upon the specific animal... I had read that the reds tend to be a little more shy, eat more fruit etc. Anything different with the AA's?
I remember txrepgirls tegus, I've seen a few of the videos on youtube. Thanks for the replies so far. I thought about putting a deposit on one for this year but I think it'd be better to wait a few more months (maybe I'll find one on a classifieds) or wait until next year if need be. They're absolutely gorgeous.
Are those who currently have or have had AA's keeping them in enclosures that are like 7x3 or 8x4, somewhere in there?

crox

5 Year Member
MY AA dosnt like me too much but im working on that now that shes getting bigger and i dont have to worry as much about losing her in my house. Shes in a 75 gallon right now, but i just started working on introducing her to my B&W so they can live together in the 9'x5' i have . She eats the turkey with the calcium and cod liver oil and mice like my BW does.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Crox, how big is your AA? She is a 2009 right?

I keep mine in a 8x3.5x3.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awesome AA'S you guys got, i too have been debating on getting one, but the giants won out....their is another member on here dmbizea i think who has a 09 AA but i havnt seen him online in a while

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus