• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

AA tegu, broken arm need suggestions!!!

bwiegmann

Hey everyone! I just added a beautiful 2011 AA tegu to the fam. Unfortunately the night we got him I noticed him not using his right front leg :( took him to the vet and know he has a very bad break in his humerus. So the poor guy is on a painkiller called metacam and seems to be feeling much better. The question I have is that the cypress mulch is getting stuck in his splint, I don't want it to hurt him more or cause an infection etc, so is it ok to keep him on the mulch, or should I do a carpet or towel or some softer bedding instead? Also, he is having a very hard time getting around his cage. Yesterday he scooted himself up to the food bowl, and could not make it to where the food was(was basically just sitting at the edge of the bowl staring ay the ground turkey he wanted so bad) and since he could not get to the food, he started biting the bowl :( it did bring a slight smile to my face but only because it was so pitiful lol. So I scooped up the food and put it where he could reach it, right at the edge n he ate it. Any advise on making it easier for him to eat or easier to get around? Thanks for the input, ill post pics of his x ray tomorrow. Other than the break the vet said he is healthy, so hopefully this heals fast and he regains some motion in his legs : / *fingers crossed*
[attachment=5341]

Orion

5 Year Member
I would keep him on newspaper until the splint comes off. If he cant get to his food or is having issues positioning himself you may try spoon feeding the little guy. Hope he heals quick.

bwiegmann

Thanks :) me 2, the paper plates and newspaper are working out very well, I threw a towel in there too, to let him burrow, he was getting antsy lol

Diablo

5 Year Member
Try and use some tongs to pick the food up and put right in front of his mouth, hope he gets better soon

bwiegmann

I'll try th tongs as well, he's been taking food gently out of my palm as well. I'm gonna try a small rat tomorrow with the tongs thanks!!!

bwiegmann

Thank you! He's doing very well, actually opens his mouth willingly every morning to take his meds, and is eating well and healing well thanks for all the well wishes!

Noobske

5 Year Member
Very nice looking Tegu, good luck with his recovery.

P.S. Lok'tar Ogar, Victory or Death. For the Horde!

bwiegmann

Sorry guys been crazy busy, he's doing great here's a pic of his x ray n the poor guy all splinted up :( clean break right by his right shoulder
[attachment=5397]
[attachment=5398]

And another pic of us at the docs office and a close up of his gorgeous colors :)
[attachment=5399]
[attachment=5400]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980