• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A few questions/requests for confirmation

psychotideman

I've kept frogs, fish, & reptiles in the past (in fact, have some fish & a turtle right now) but I've never kept & cared for large lizards.

My girlfriend and I wanted to to obtain a blue tegu, but in our searches online we are coming up with some conflicting information. I figured it's in our best interest, not to mention the best interest of any pets we obtain, to ask those that have and are caring for tegus before we really get down to it.

1) Lifespan of a Blue Tegu in captivity : I have heard 2 years, I have heard 6 years, I have heard up to 12 years. I realize that this will differ from animal to animal and keeper to keeper, but assuming the animal is healthy and kept in good health, is there an average range I could expect?

2) Size (Length & Mass) : Again, conflicting reports. Generally, I have heard that male blue tegus can grow to ~1 meter in length and 12-27lbs, with females being shorter and lighter. Other reports I've read in magazines, books, and shudder the internet have listed the length up to 2 meters (I think they are confusing the blue with something else) and weight from 20-60lbs, full grown. While I tend to believe the ~1m & 12-27lb, it would be terrible to learn that the second was true and have to give the poor guy/gal up because we couldn't care for one so large.

3) Average Monthly Cost for Care : I'm having trouble finding any information on this. I know it would be foolish to assume everyone feeds their omnivorous friends the exact same meals every day, but if I could get a ballpark figure it would help immensely. I know that other factors figure into this aside from food (such as substrate, lighting, heating, etc) but I feel those costs might be easier to absorb without planning. If I am wrong in that assumption, please say so.

4) We plan on converting one of the rooms in her house to the tegu's needs. At first we were contemplating just making the room into a large tegu enclosure, but after watching videos and reading more on specific needs this does not seem as feasible (for instance, heating an entire 13'x10' room and keeping the humidity up in it) economically. So now our plan, pending comments from the experts and community, is to create an enclosed area/terrarium for the tegus to reside in most of the time, and have a larger 'play area' out for when we want to interact with them or give them exercise/etc. The room also has a huge walk-in closet that I think we could use for a separate feeding area. One of the benefits of this solution would be the option to have several separate enclosed terrariums for different tegus or other pets that we could have and house in the same room, if not together.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I know there was more on our list of questions.

- Psy

isdrake

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't dare to answer anything regarding blue Tegus because I have no experience with them. In fact, I don't think there are any in Europe at all. Or at least whey are very, very rare.

But I want to warn you about your plans of doing a smaller terrarium and a "play area". Reptiles are very sensitive about their environment. If you let them out of the enclosure the room would still require to suit the lizards needs. It must have a decent temperature and the right amount of humidity. And if it's going to spend a lot of time outside the enclosure you will probably need to add some UVB lighting to the room.

So it might be tricky to make a safe play area. Maybe it's possible to add extra humidity only then the Tegu is out. But I think it might be easier to make a pretty large enclosure instead that suits the Tegus needs.

preston897

what i plan on doing for my tegu is to have its cage in my room. but when i am him the room with it i will just open the enclosure and it can come in and out as it wants to. im even thinking of putting a dog door on the side of the cage and teaching it to go in and out of it. that way the humidity stays up in its enclosure.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey wlecome to the form and i'm glad your doing resurch before jumping into getting one.

Lifespan: Its the same as a black and white tegus i'd say more around the 12 year range. My oldest blue will be 4 years old in Aug and the vet says his very heavy considering the animals his seen come in. A healthy diet and good care at a young age is critical to making sure your tegu has a long and healthy life.

Size: No way would a blue get to be 2 meters. lol. I know alot of places say about 3 to 3 1/2 feet (or about a meter) is the average. My male is about 4 feet long and last time i wieghted him before he desided to hibernate this year (his never done so in the past) he was 14lbs, his a big boy.

Monthly cost: Well the monthly upkeep as an adult isn't too bad mine is about $40-50 a month for the adult the baby tegu i have i don't really have a monthly figured out yet. The main cost isn't really food. I buy foods that i would eat things like white fish fillets (raw), eggs, ground turkey and part goes to the tegu the other part to me. It seems to work out well. Blue's are thought not to need fruit but many blue owners (me included) have notice they will take fruits so i give him what ever i'm eatting. There is another tread on this forum i just commented on the brake down of cost. if you can't find it let me know and i will link it to here. I know some people run anywhere from $150 to $300 a month depending on set up, feeding choices and treats shall we say.

As for set up... im not really into the whole converting an indoor room for tegus. I like the idea of creating a home cage for them and letting the free roam when im home. Its a great bonding time between pet and keeper as well. Although they say a blue can be kept in a 4x2x2, i personally think a min should be 6x3x2 (lxwxh) not to mention bigger is always better.

psychotideman

First off, thank you for the replies, everyone. And yep, I checked out the thread you pointed me to, very informative.

Though we are still in the planning & preparation stages, we've just about decided on getting two tegus, a blue & a black and white, since their care is very similar we likely wouldn't have to worry as much about special feeding and such.

I met a man through YouTube that has a couple tegus (extreme giant & black/white) on the Outer Banks, it's about an hour drive from here and he is willing to let us hold his tame tegus or at the very least, show us how to pick them up, feed them, clean the cages, etc. We'll likely make a final decision some time after that.

We're still thinking about converting the room to a more or less "pet" room, but using large terrariums for the tegu so we can keep them comfortable at a bit of a lower cost than trying to heat the whole room up for such long periods at a time. We're looking at plans for a 8'x3.5'x3' enclosure for their more permanent home once they grow into them.

I'm really excited about this, I love animals and have always wanted something like a tegu. I think the one video that pretty much sealed our fates as tegu owners was one posted by Varnyard himself, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcdOIzZZdDI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcdOIzZZdDI</a><!-- m --> , "Tame Tegus".

Utahraptor

5 Year Member
ahh i remember watching that video when I was considering whether to get a tegu or not. It had a big impact on me as well. Adorable stuff, really. :p

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol i loved that video, i watched it and a year of info finding and fact gathering a tegu came along that just seemed to perfect to pass up. I got really lucky in getting Bosco my blue tegu and i will say his one of my favorite pets, right up there with my hound dog.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me