• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A couple more questions please

Miranda2

He is around a year and half old and still pretty small so how long does it take to grow to full size?
And what size cage, Im guessing 6ft x 2 x2 would be adequate for a full grown teguixin.

Also its obvious they fed him live and in the tank, how do I start with calming him down so I can take him out. He automatically thinks anything coming into the tank is food and bites first, and he is fast.
I thought maybe throwing a towel over him and start feeding him in the bathtub.

Miranda2

Well he can leap right out of the 55 gallon tank. I did that today when I was feeding him with the tongs a piece of fish. I was able to pick him up with my hand and set him on a towel on the bed while he ate. But when I put him back in the tank he panicked and went a little crazy.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A year and a half and still small means he wan't fed enough. Also, seems like he was conditioned to put on a show in his cage with what live food food he got before you got him. So, two things. first, how about setting his food in a particular dish on the other side of the tank sometime after he has gone to sleep. Make sure it's enough food to fill him at one setting. Second, feed him well. He has to grow. At some point not enough food results in permanent stunting. that might not yet be the case if he's still jumping out of his skin to get food, so feed him often to his fill and do so in a way that he sees the food dish as the only place for food. Less jumpy for food, and food interest is directed at the bowl and not you.

Make sure he has a hide box on the cooler end of the tank. Maybe put the food dish between his hide box and the hot end.

Miranda2

As far as age Im going by what they told me, I didnt get alot of info really. But he looks and acts healthy. I have been feeding him all kinds of foods just to see what he will eat and so far any and everything, even blueberries and grapes. I also got some calcium with d3 as I havent set up a uvb bulb yet.
I have to admit he is pretty impressive when he leaps straight up like a shark and latches onto the food.
He has a hide box with dirt mix on the cool end and piece of slate under his basking site on the hot end. But I am going to switch out the newspaper and put him on eco earth/sand mix because it will be easier to spot clean.
I was hoping to get him used to a bowl only. I will start that right away.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good. I think that that will help. Columbians will take a lot fo fruits, but keep up the animal protein as well and let him eat his fill. You might then considertaking him outwhen he's done eating and basking and has gone back to rest. Then you know he won't be hungry and potentially confused by your hand movement since food now only comes in a dish and lots of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980