• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

4 steps forward...3 steps back

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
So ever since my tegu has come out of hibernation it's like he has completely forgotten who I am. He does things he never used to do like rushing to his hide for every time I enter the room. He is also harder to get out of his cage to feed him. Picking him up is now a chore. I have no idea what happened it's ike he's a different lizard. Is this at all normal? Any advice?

isdrake

5 Year Member
I think it's normal. We used to have two Tegus. Then one was sick we didn't spend much time with out other one (we only did the necessary daily routine). During a period of just two weeks she changed alot. After those two weeks she started to run and hide every time we entered the room.

I also felt that i had to start over. She's much better now but she's still much easier scared than before.

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
One of my gu's does the same thing every year. She always returns to her "normal" sef after a couple of weeks or so.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
its funny because nero although super huge does this now, when i come in the reptile room she darts to her hide b ut once she realize its me she will come out. she does not like anyone but me. i have recently realized that if someone that is not me tries to pick her up she will thrash and bite them.

brutus13

I am new to all of this but I am wondering; do you have to hibernate them? If you keep their temps up and keep them active they wont hibernate right?

isdrake

5 Year Member
brutus13 said:
I am new to all of this but I am wondering; do you have to hibernate them? If you keep their temps up and keep them active they wont hibernate right?

You don't need to hibernate them. But I think that animals that do hibernate in the wild should be able to hibernate in captivity if they want to. Natural is best. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me