• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

1 STEP BACK

exelbut

Hi there had my tegu now for just 5 weeks it has ate pooped and shed fine. got it i a 4x2x2 front opeing enclosure 100;-110 basking side and about 80 on the cool. first 3weeks it has been fine coming over ad checking my had crawling onto it and letting me stroke it. i decided to get him out and try and get him into his feeding tub for the first time let me pick him up no problem to put him in but trying to get him out it went ape managed after 3 attempts to get him since then its been very shy of me so been putting his food in when hes in his hide. do hope i havent scared him too much. should i just carry on as i started. HELP NEEDED

Attachments

• Photo0161.jpg
    Photo0161.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

TheTeguGurl

It does take alittle while for our little Gu's to trust us.. but dont give up keep up what ur doing. and remember never grab them by the tail or take them out when there burrowed, thats there safe place!

herpgirl2510

It is as a new tegu owner myself I find myself struggling with this part but I do my best and follow everyone's advice. There is alot of great advice on this forum.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have learned patience is the key with tegus i have had tegus take a few days to mellow out and i have had tegus that were fearful for months and calm down, you will have some good days during this process and you will some bad days but the important thing is to not give up, tegus make great pets once you earn their trust

exelbut

got a different gu today ha" the gu just shed today and is already coming over to glass of viv where ive been sitting. so i tried putting my hand in slowly and lo and behold hes straight over and letting me stroke him. does shedding affect them and make them abit quirky my beardys get a touch grumpy wondering if tegus do aswell

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i havent noticed any difference when shedding. i'm sure ur aware having beardies but dont pull the sheds off of them it can hurt them. a second tegu or you traded your other one?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol tegus are just quirky period, i know neither of my tegus like to be held especially when shedding, however they wont turn down a good scratch on the head/neck during shedding lol

TheTeguGurl

when my tegus shed.. well all three are diff. my big male doesn't like to be messed with till it is pealing, my female is just fine she comes to me like"please mom shed me" she will sit on my lap for as long as it takes me to help her.. my other male well she gets pretty grumpy and wont eat till he is done shedding.. weird gus at times... But i never peal there skin till i know it comes off easy..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan