• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ZuPreem Monitor Diet Canned

GraphiK

5 Year Member
Anyone have experience with this?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zupreem.com/our-food/reptiles/monitor-diet-canned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.zupreem.com/our-food/reptile ... iet-canned</a><!-- m -->

Good things to say? Bad?

Meg90

5 Year Member
I would stay away from it too. I mean, there HAS to be other things in it, you can't put cooked meat in a can and leave it at that.

Why bother with it when you can feed them fresh?

I know some use Zupreem because it stinks so bad, you can get a feeding response out of picky eaters. Reptile rescues use it occasionally for that reason.

But its not something I would advise...

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
Ive always used fresh turkey chicken burger and mixed in beef liver chichen liver eggs snails grasshoppers and fruits. I think canned dog has better nutrients that zu preens monitor diet.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I don't recommend using it.It has no nutrisions in it for your Tegu.Everythign that is in a can or jar is preserved and isn't good for your Tegu.I recommend buing your meats in bulk and than freeze it and thaw it out when ever you need it.I rarely food save my things.I rather by fresh.

GOT_TEGUS.I don't want to be rude but I don't recommend feeding any snails or grasshoppers or any other insects from the out side.You never know where they came from.You never know if they have any parasites and people spray all kinds off chemicals in their yards for pestisides ( sorry about my spelling ).

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
txrepgirl said:
I don't recommend using it.It has no nutrisions in it for your Tegu.Everythign that is in a can or jar is preserved and isn't good for your Tegu.I recommend buing your meats in bulk and than freeze it and thaw it out when ever you need it.I rarely food save my things.I rather by fresh.

GOT_TEGUS.I don't want to be rude but I don't recommend feeding any snails or grasshoppers or any other insects from the out side.You never know where they came from.You never know if they have any parasites and people spray all kinds off chemicals in their yards for pestisides ( sorry about my spelling ).

sam im sorry i didnt say i use zoo meds canned snails and can o grasshoppers. nothin from outside. I do have some African land snails trying to raise in captivity for food for tegus.

GraphiK

5 Year Member
I suppose I should have said earlier that I don't plan on switching my tegus diet over to this entirely if at all. We get our meat for free (Ground turkey, beef, loins, etc.) and I have enough mice frozen to last a lifetime! I am asking because a local zoo owner has a tegu that he feeds with zupreem canned monitor diet ONLY and this b/w tegu looks extremely healthy to me. So it go me thinking.. is this stuff as bad as people say or is it getting a bad rap because of the history of other canned foods?

I'm not the type of guy to believe something just because someone said so online with no actual facts behind it, which is why I started this thread. What I'm really looking for is facts, what is it in the ingredients of zupreem that make it unhealthy? From what I have been reading this seems much more healthy for a monitor then ground turkey would be.

The ingredients within Zupreem are as follows:

Water, Beef, Meat by-products, Liver, Chicken, Poultry
by-products, Whole egg, Rice flour,Vegetable gum,
Iron oxide, Choline chloride, Ferrous sulfate,
Manganous oxide, Copper sulfate,Vitamin D3
supplement,Vitamin E supplement,Thiamine, Niacin,
Calcium pantothenate, Pyridoxine hydrochloride,
Riboflavin, Folic acid, Biotin,Vitamin B12 supplement.

The nutritional analysis is as follows:

Crude Protein Min. 10.0%
Crude Fat Min. 6.0%
Crude Fiber Max. 1.0%
Moisture Max. 78.0%

--------------------------------------

Thanks everyone, just trying to get some facts straight! There seems to be a lot of 'he said, she said' in the tegu pet trade when it comes to nutrition. :D

bubbategu2

5 Year Member
I fed my last Red Zupreem Moniter and Tegu food almost exclusively with the exception of the occasional mouse or lizard. He died at ten years of age from complications from impaction surgery after I tried to "better" his diet. He was actually really healthy, althou a bit overweight.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi