• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Zoo Med Repti Bark

chuckwalla

5 Year Member
I'm using it for my baby Argentine B&W, Kramer. Besides it being expensive, I'm having trouble keeping the humidity up. Could repti bark be the problem? It's hard to find cypress mulch anywhere near me, I live in Southern California. Would eucalyptus mulch be better? Also, should I bake it? Someone told me I can put the substrate in a bin and spray it with Provent-A-Mite, that will replace needing to bake it, is this true? Please, feel free to share all opinions. Thanks.

chuckwalla

5 Year Member
Do you bake it? Either way, please tell me your process before putting it in the cage. Also, what brand is it? Where do you buy it?

Thanks

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
No I don't bake it. I am in south Florida and it's about 2 - 3 dollars at any home depot or lowes for a 3 cubic foot bag. My enclosure is 4 feet by 2 feet and it is about 3 - 4 inches deep in mulch. Down here in Florida you can get it or cypress mulch all year round cheap. I don't know brand names. I hope this helps. That reptile bark is so expensive

chuckwalla

5 Year Member
It's near impossible for me to keep the humidity above 60%. I mist it with a spray bottle multiple times daily. The humidity outside his cage is 43% right now. It goes way up at night, but not so much in the cage. I have 1 vent on the left side, and smaller vent holes on the right roof. Should I open up more ventilation in the cage, or will that make the humidity lower? It's been so hot here lately in California. Any answers would be so helpful. Thankssssss!

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
I put a paper plate in the cage with a washcloth on that I pour water onto and the heat from the lights evaporates it and raises the humidity. It's not the most attractive thing but it works

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
the wash cloth with water is a good idea. if you open more vents it will lower the humidity, but you need air flow in the cage to keep the air from bieng stagnant. poor air flow can also lead to respratory infections.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced