• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Yucca substrate

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol i have to admit i have no clue on this. I even did a google search as i didnt know that they made mulch from yucca plants, although the amount of unwanted plants in so cal it makes scense. I dont know about safe as some suculants can have a milky substance in it that can be toxic to some animals, and no garden centers do not have to lable this (big problem when coca mulch came out!) So i dont know if this milky stuff is in Yucca or not. Not only that but i can't see it holding humidity too well...

just out of curioisity where did u find yucca mulch.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Currently San Diego, actully se just had our neighbors yucca plant fall into our yard an hour ago, lol. I did ask a friend of mine who is really into birds, i remember him telling about a yucca bird toy he was really excited about getting. The bird didn't like it. But he says the wood, ie the trunk is not toxic, but the sap, leaves and roots on some speices can be.

Beazer

5 Year Member
What species of yucca? We have lizards here that rely on yucca to breed/live. If I'm not mistaken, yucca roots also can be used as soap/mouth wash for when you're out in the bush. I dont see how it would harm, but perhaps it may mold depending on how humid its kept? I've used dead yucca leaves for a banded gecko cage before with no problems, but then again it wasnt mulch lol. Good question though, I really hope somebody can answer this one entirely. But one thing to raise of concern is the stuff that is with what other plants equipment has touched, being unclean and all it may have toxins from other plants and also the oil from the equipment?

-Jon DeLong

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam